Conan vs WLP090 for Heady Topper clone and another CTZ/Apollo bittering hop battle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
I did another big brew day with 16 lbs of grain (7 lbs Golden Promise, 7 lbs 2-row, 1 lbs White Wheat, 1 lbs Caramalt) to make another Heady clone as well as a few other beers. I mashed with 8 gallons of water at 150* for 60 minutes, pulled 4.8 gallons (3.2 gallons after boil) for my Heady clone and 1.6 gallons (1.2 gallons after boil) for a Bravo/Kohatu IPA. While those were boiling I added 1.5 gallons of water 2 different times to get a 20 minute mash rest and a REALLY long mash rest at 160* and 165*. I used the final 3.2 gallons of water to make two beers (1.2 gallons each after boil) that differed only in the bittering hops (CTZ vs CTZ/Apollo). I also split my Heady clone in half and pitched Conan in one batch and WLP090 in the other.

Heady clone:
Based on theveganbrewer's 4.0 recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/heady-topper-can-you-clone-390082/)
5/8 oz CTZ and 5/8 oz Apollo @ 90 min
80% of the hops @ 5, 0, and Aroma Steep since I thought it would be a 4 gallon batch
No corn sugar as I hit 1.073 OG on the dot after boil off
100 billion cells of either Conan or WLP090
1.6 gallons each, 1.073 OG

Bravo/Kohatu IPA:
1/8 oz Bravo @ 60
1/8 oz Kohatu @ 20
1/8 oz Kohatu @ 15
1/8 oz Kohatu @ 10
1/8 oz Kohatu @ 5
1/4 oz Kohatu @ 0
1/4 oz Kohatu @ Aroma Steep
50 billion cells of Conan
1.2 gallons, 1.059 OG, ~65 IBU

CTZ 7 IPA
1/8 oz each CTZ or CTZ/Apollo @ 60
Mix of Centennial, Citra, CTZ, El Dorado, Galaxy, Kohatu, and Simcoe
1/8 oz @ 20
1/8 oz @ 15
1/8 oz @ 10
1/8 oz @ 5
1/4 oz @ 0
1/4 oz @ Aroma Steep
50 billion cells of 75% WLP090/25% Conan mix in each
1.2 gallons each, 1.059 OG, ~90 IBU

I've added the first 2 dry hops so far for the Heady clones. The Bravo/Kohatu IPA and CTZ 7 IPA both finished at 1.010.

I also saved the beer from my yeast starters, dry-hopped it with Kohatu and bottled it. There was a huge difference between the Conan starter beer and the WLP090 starter beer. The Conan starter beer had a very definitive lemon taste. At first I thought it was from the Kohatu since Southern Hemisphere hops have a bit of that lemon taste, but it was clearly from the Conan because the WLP090 starter beer didn't have that taste at all. It tasted a lot more like a normal beer and was very bland compared to the Conan starter beer. So while some people describe the Conan taste as peach or apricot, I would have to say it is more lemon. I'm sure a heavier beer that used a lot more hops would have had a much more balanced taste and I can really see how that lemon taste would accentuate a highly hopped beer. I also kept my temperature under 70 the whole time so there was absolutely no Belgian taste from the Conan yeast.

FG for the Conan and WLP090 versions of the HT clone were 1.011 and 1.014 respectively, so it appears Conan attenuates better than WLP090.

I carbonated one HT clone of each one at room temperature and tried them tonight. The Conan version is a little better, and is probably my best beer to date. They both have the HT taste, but the Conan version pops a bit more and the WLP090 version seems a little muted in comparison.

Latest posts

Back