Computers taking over the beer scene?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someday we are all going to be sitting around scratching our private parts with nothing to do but drink AI beer and talking about the good ole days when we actually had to do stuff.

This is a little misleading. I gather that the recipes are being altered by AI after consumers input answers into a program. What I don't see is, does this program make smaller and smaller adjustments to perfect a beer or does it just change things? Are the beers getting any better or just different based on the latest answers?

After what it does, the beer is brewed in the traditional way.

Kind of interesting but it takes the fun out of brewing.....

I believe it is a glorified customer survey that inputs the responses to the brew master to manipulate the recipe according to the collective audience reviews of the beer... Something the restaurant industry has been doing for 20 years. I would not call it A.I. brewing rather Sl.Ow brewing

Working at Ford for 31 years, I've seen electric, computer controlled run-down guns on the assembly jobs in the engine plants. Besides computer controlled automation. They just started employing AI the last couple years I worked before retiring.
Putting it simply, it's a C++ version of the BASIC IF/THEN/ELSE/ branching statement. I had to teach the engineers a little something about applying fuzzy logic we, as humans, employ every day. I toyed with that stuff in the early 80's as a programming student. It basically converts that branching statement to IF/THEN/ELSE/NOW WHAT? When it can't perform it's normal functions to the limit of the normal branching statement, it goes to " now what?", branching again to try doing this or that, before the machine pauses itself & the panel light flashes red, along with a red gumball machine on a stalk attached to the machine (the way we had'em set up).
This sounds a lot like that to me, where human input governs the NOW WHAT? part of the new branching statement.

After reading the article, I would say it is a real stretch to call that AI. They are doing statistical analysis based off of survey results. Misleading and sloppy journalism. Whats new?

Thought exactly the same thing as you after reading it. It's not AI at all, it's statistical analysis, not much more. Machines also don't have taste buds to make their own decisions on changes so they are still relying on human input to refine the product.

Rev.

Until, of course, somebody invents a set of microsensor relays to emulate human taste buds...

The sensors aren't the issue, they'd probably be one of the easiest parts to construct. Constructing the brain that than determines the reactions to the sensory input would be far faaar more difficult and something quite a ways off technology-wise :)

Rev.

Well, the auto-responses would have to be thought out & emulated. Just needs the right person to think it through. Not sure I'd like that though?...

Until, of course, somebody invents a set of microsensor relays to emulate human taste buds...

.... you just need a Hindu Aunt ... she's vegetarian but she cooks the best damned meat I've ever tasted and she never tastes it. She might be a vital cog in your machine.

New Turing Test: Machine can tell the difference between a Dusseldorf Altbier and a Northern German Altbier.

Actually, if there was true AI in beerdom, you'd have computerized judging in comps. There would be some interesting scoring notes, looking a lot like mass spectroscopy results.

Back