Completely cleaning old carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone_fishing

Reaction score
So I have a 5 gallon carboy that is older than me. It's from when my parents made wine before they were married. Anyway, it's got about an inch by 1/4" of white stuff at the bottom that I cannot get out. Have tried the brush, PBW a number of times and the handle of my paddle. Got most of it out but I don't want to risk contamination. It almost looks like if paper gets wet then dries on something hard and you peel it up.

Any ideas?

I was given a carboy with what looked like a smear in the bottom. I did the same things you said you tried. I couldn't get it out. I kind of thought it was a hard water deposit. Finally I decided it might just be in the glass. So I used it for a beer. When I was rinsing the yeast out of it I realized the stain was gone. I'm not advising you to go this route but it worked for me. CLR might work?

CLR can really get the hardened on stuff out well - but you have to rinse, and then you should rinse again, and then probably rinse, and then when you think it is fully rinsed, you'd better go ahead and rinse again.

Back