COMPLETELEY NEW, What kit to start with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oifvet0708

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking to start at home brewing and don't know what kit to start with. I was first turned to the Coopers, but have heard the beer ranks with the likes of Fosters and Budweiser ( which is similar to that of warm dog piss on a hot day ) I'm a Huge Sam Adams fan and want to eventually be able to brew my own twists and IPA's and flavors etc.. but I gotta start somewhere, Looking for a good complete kit. I've heard Williams??? and NB?? but I don't even know what NB stands for. Please help me get started. Looking for solid advice from people with experience so I came here.

I just brewed my first brew last week. I used an American wheat kit from Brewers Best. As far as I can tell it is looking great and was very easy to do.

NB = Northern Brewer

They have a nice selection of kits.

NB = Northern Brewer.
Are you nearby any local home brew shop (LHBS)? If so, which ones?

Anyway, there are generally two kits. At NB you can get the Essential Brewing Starter kit using buckets. I would add Star San (sanitizer) and PBW (powdered brewer's wash). You will also need a bottle capper an a hydrometer. I think the kits at NB aren't quite complete. My deluxe kit from American Brewmaster came with the spoon, capper, hydrometer, thermometer, and everything else in the essential kit. Also, I got a kit of ingredients.

In my opinion, everything above is necessary. The rest of what you will eventually buy will only make your life easier but you can brew great beer without it.

You also want to get a brew pot. I did start with a 5 gallon and was assured I wouldn't grow out of it soon but I feel like I could easily grow out of it. I recommend something around 8 gallons so you can eventually move to full 5 gallon boils. This makes no sense now, but it will.

Welcome and good luck!

Edit: I just realized I may have misunderstood. did you mean recipe kit?

Check out the thread 'About to pull the trigger on a kit'. More answers for your situation there.
I'm partial to ingredient kits from Northern Brewer. Brewing instructions are rather detailed and complete. They also have a pretty good forum.

Hello, I looked at this kit

https://bellsbeer.com/store/product...Brewing-Equipment-Kit-w{47}-Glass-Carboy.html But I'm nt sure on the recipe kits, are those of lesser quality, I'd like to believe using all your own ingreidents is better than a pre mixed syrup, but I may be wrong. hell if you'll message me I'll give you my number and if you wouldn't mind calling me and talking me trhough some stuff, I'd greatly appreciate it..I can pay you in Great homemade Beef Jerky, I make some great stuff, LOL

That phone cll deal goes for anyone with good knowledge, love to speak with someone, just easier

That's a pretty decent looking kit with the kettle. I worked my way up to partial boil/partial mash brew in a bag with the same 5 gallon kettle I started with. check out the "about to pull the trigger on a kit" thread. I posted my 2 gadget videos there. I show some stuff that makes life in the brewery easier.

That's a nice kit. You'll just need a burner if you want to brew outdoors. I'm personally not a fan of the glass carboys, but a lot of people on here like them. I have one, but I use Better Bottles now.

As far as recipe kits, I'd start with a nice Pale Ale or an Amber. You can't go wrong with either one. I generally buy them from Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies. I've had good luck with both places.

Either way, start with a simple kit and avoid adding a lot of extra sugar, strawberries, raspberries, molasses, or whatever until you've done a few batches. There's enough that can go wrong without complicating the process.

Have fun! :D

That is easier & less complicated in the begining. Concentrate on getting a good process down while brewing some basic kits. A good process is the most important thing.

unionrdr said:
That is easier & less complicated in the begining. Concentrate on getting a good process down while brewing some basic kits. A good process is the most important thing.

Seconded. G at least one or two beers down without infection or crazy off flavors. I've always felt a close kinship to guys in the Northen Brewer instructional DVD (it should be on their website or free, and is definitely one of the best video tutorials).

Like the bald guy say "If you can make Mac n cheese from a box, you can make beer from a kit."

That is a nice kit.. few things I learned after buying a top of the line kitchen sink kit....(which was full of options and swap outs... from Austin Home Brew Supply)

Happy I upgraded to a 30qt double wall pot.... Now wish I had gone larger.

All the brew kits seem to have a 5gal carboy for secondary,,, but many believe secondary not required in general,,, only for a few specific uses. .. in hind sight, wish i had traded that off for a second bucket, or upgraded to a 6.5 gal carboy.

The included wing caper works... but a bench caper is only a few more $$ and it works better.

The included hydrometer worked, but the scale was so compressed (due to it reading over a large value) it was hard to read... Wish I had opted for a two item Hydro package to read that same large value (I have since done so)

Your linked kit does not have a long handle stainless steel spoon,, consider one.

I don't see grain bags, strainers, large funnels in your linked kit...if doing just extract, no need, otherwise add um... if your going to do specialty grain steeping , or partial mash.

You can make beer with the kit..... but you can add so much more to brew better, faster, different... so don't get to caught up on the "completeness" of any kit..

If you can find anyone near you that is having a brew day.. go watch them, and take not of the equipment they use to make beer. Then do it again with someone else..... it will be different

So I'm guessing I should start with recipe kits

I did and am glad for it... and that does not limit you to just a canned extract kit... a local or on line home brew supply store will have recipes kits in all grain, partial mash (steeping) and all extract versions.... of the same recipe.

The Kit recipe takes a lot of the variables out of brewing.. allowing you to concentrate on learning the other aspects.

So recipe kits it is ....to start, is that the extract? I have seen a few sights with a broad range of choices to brew. I guess I'm a bit of a beer snob but not looking to re create that crap mass produced stuff. I don't get hammered, I ENJOY beer greatly, and wnat to expand that endeavor

So recipe kits it is ....to start, is that the extract? I have seen a few sights with a broad range of choices to brew. I guess I'm a bit of a beer snob but not looking to re create that crap mass produced stuff. I don't get hammered, I ENJOY beer greatly, and wnat to expand that endeavor
Depending upon where you shop, you can get a kit that is a clone of something you enjoy. I did a couple kits that were clones. Having everything in one box and laid out for me made it easier to start. It didn't take long for me to decide what ingredients I wanted but for the first couple of batches it was great to have a kit.

Unless you get a Bud Light clone, you should brew something halfway decent.

To the poster above,partial mash & steeping are different. You either choose a partial mash kit,or an extract kit with steeping grains. Then of course,there's always kit-n-kilo like Munton's & Cooper's. The kits I've had from midwest have been great. I'm at the point where I use Beersmith2 to design my own most of the time,but a PM kit now & then to try a new style or different take on one is always informative.

To the poster above,partial mash & steeping are different. You either choose a partial mash kit,or an extract kit with steeping grains. Then of course,there's always kit-n-kilo like Munton's & Cooper's. The kits I've had from midwest have been great. I'm at the point where I use Beersmith2 to design my own most of the time,but a PM kit now & then to try a new style or different take on one is always informative.

I was actually telling him that a kit was a good idea and I was thinking extract since it seemed to be what he was saying. Sorry for any confusion. Personally, I don't recommend anything but extract for a first brew because I think it's good to just get down the basic process. that's just my opinion.

1: An all extract kit will have all of the ferment-able sugars in the form of Liquid Malt extract (LME) or Dry Malt extract (DME)

2: Some "extract" kits will have specialty grains that need to be steeped.
3: Some "extract" kits will have specialty grains that need to be steeped and grains that need to be mashed.

1 is the simplest , 2 is not much harder, and 3 is really not that much harder either.

I started at 2 and made great beer...working on 3 now...have not decided if I want to go All Grain or not yet.

When the other poster said -partial mash,(steeping)-I spoke up to be sure there was no confusion. Many people do confuse the terms mash,partial mash,& steeping.
Kits with specialty,color,or crystal grains are referred to as extract with steeping grains.
Kits with grains that need to be mashed that includes some extract are partial mash kits.
Kit-n-kilo like Munton's & Cooper's are the easiest to start out with when trying to get a good process down. E/SG is the next logical step up. Then of course is PM to start using mashing grains without too much new expensive equipment outlay. I just added a large paint strainer bag & a cake cooling rack to put in the bottom of the kettle to keep the nylon bag from burning to start partial boil,partial mash brew in a bag.

WOW, LOl Before I actually pick a kit, I'll post my choices of what kit recipes I am aiming for and get your oponions. Probably hoping to do a WHeat or Beglian first off....if I can

WOW, LOl Before I actually pick a kit, I'll post my choices of what kit recipes I am aiming for and get your oponions. Probably hoping to do a WHeat or Beglian first off....if I can

What do you mean "If you can?". You can do anything. At it's base level, brewing is just following a simple set of steps and paying attention to details. Don't let it scare you. There's very little to lose by trying to make what you want to make. :D

I will also second what a few others have said about the glass. Make sure you really consider whether or not glass is what you want to use. I spent the extra money on getting glass, and then realized after my first batch that I hate using it. I'm a giant klutz, and for the accident prone, that stuff is dangerous and worrisome. Now I'm using buckets, which I love because they come with these awesome handles.

I am about 2 weeks in the brewing endeavor further than you. I actually just bottled my first batch yesterday. I went to the LHBS and purchased a $120 brewers best starter kit and porter extract brew kit. The starter kit included fermenting bucket, bottling bucket w/ spigot, plastic carboy, hydrometer, auto siphon, thermometer, capper and tubing (probably some other stuff I forgot). I went to target and spent $22 on a 8 gallon aluminum tamale steamer as a brewpot. If I had more money I would have spent more on my equipment but for only $140 I had everything I needed for my first batch. I intentionally bought from a local store because I wanted to show my support and gain a little familiarity with a place that I could go into and ask for advise if need be. I would definitely do that if I were you. Everything I have read on this forum has been invaluable but so has going into a place and talking with somebody that has the same hobby as you but tons of experience. I got to get familiar with the owner as well as an employee who spent an hour walking me through the process and helping me pick out my starter kit and a few accessories. I may have paid 10 or 20 bucks more than I could have got it online but way worth it.

My first kit was a brewers best extract kit. SOOOOO easy. Have no fears if you purchase an extract kit for your first. If I could go back and do it all again I don't think I would change a thing. Maybe I would add a wort chiller. I have a big utility sink that I filled with ice water that cooled down my 3 gallon partial boil in less than an hour, but I used about $10 worth of ice. I could build a wort chiller for about $25-30 so in the long run not worth it to use ice.

Just my $.02 from a guy who was in your shoes a couple weeks ago.

Just make sure you dont buy a kit for a Lager. Lagers have to be cold fermented and that is not a step you want to start with. As long as it is an ale you should be good. I'll let the more experienced folks comment further.

Quix, I know I can do it, I mean talking the wife into it, LOL Mike your post is exceptionally helpful, and I think I did find a local shop but I called and no answer so I'll try tomorrow. Psycotte thans for the tip on the Lager, i was planning on one at some point. I stick with Ales.

A word about LHBS's - some are better than others. Some are WAY better than others. I've read threads on here where someone has received terrible advice from a LHBS.

Until you find out whether a LHBS employee knows what they're talking about, I recommend that you vet everything they say here.

Will do IPA. I also got some potentially great news. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I wanted to start home brewing and he said that he was going to at one point but just never followed through, well....He bought a complete kit,not sure what brand, and he's thinking of just giving it to me. He said it just needs the recipe mix. He said it has capper and bottles and a glass container ( carbouy?? ) Going to see it tomorrow and hopefully get it. Sounds like a Coopers kit???

Will do IPA. I also got some potentially great news. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I wanted to start home brewing and he said that he was going to at one point but just never followed through, well....He bought a complete kit,not sure what brand, and he's thinking of just giving it to me. He said it just needs the recipe mix. He said it has capper and bottles and a glass container ( carbouy?? ) Going to see it tomorrow and hopefully get it. Sounds like a Coopers kit???
Good deal... no matter the kit, it should at least get you some usable components that can be added to yours.

Some of the cheapest of kits are, well a little hokey from what I've seen.. They will make beer...and if that is the only requirement...

So at worst your friend has a "MR Beer "Premium" kit (1 plastic Fermenter (2 GAL), 1 Standard Refill (dehydrated wort in a can), 11 Bottles with Caps, 11 Labels.

and you'll get nothing of value, but he may have purchased something GREAT and complete as well.

Good luck

It may or may not be a Cooper's kit. If all it needs is the recipe kit, and it holds 5 gallons (not a Mr. Beer kit), it sounds perfect!

I love austinhomebrew.com for recipe kits. They have hundreds, and they make them up fresh when you order them. They come with grain bags, and with good instructions as well. Here is a link: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_43&osCsid=7164fbea4009f5950b3845afb02f5097 I've done quite a few of the "clone kits" and been very happy with them!

So, I picked up the kit today. It's from Midwest Brewing, Looks like the basic starrter kit. Huge problem with the Glass carbouy, it has 2 very dried up dead mice in it, kit is 10 years old, never been used. I will not even try to clean the mice out, I am assuming I need the carbouy or no???. Kit came with a video ( on VHS, pictured and I apologize I couldn't flip pic to be right side up. ) I'll list whats here and ask what else I should get thats NEEDED, asided from the extract kit itself.

6.5 gallon bucket
6.5 Gallon Bottling bucket " ale pale"
Italian bottling spigot
lid, drilled and grommeted for econolock
ecocolock, 3 piece airlock
brewers liquid crystal thermometer ( peel and stick )
Hydrometer, triple scale
Racking tube with tip
Fermtech Bottle filler- 13" no spring plastic tube,
5 feet of siphon hose
Beer bottle Brush
Another "L" shaped brush for???
Bucket Clip
8 ozs sanitizer ( 10 years old so I'm guessing I should replace this, and it's been tore open from?? )
2 Red Baron Cappers, don't know why 2

2 Bags of bottle caps

Someone mentioned a wort chiller is a good idea. WHat should I get to make this complete? Is it good enough to do my first mix kit? should I update to a DVD instruction, and what other advise on this kit do you reccommend?

beer kit.jpg

I have never used a glass carboy in all my brewing and if you are asking the question, the answer is usually no. The only time it is really suggested is for long term aging (months), adding fruit or oak, and not too much else.

You could dump the mice out, they won't mind being dead already. The glass carboy will clean up fine with no mouse odors remaining. That is one reason that glass is used. The L shaped brush is to clean the upper end of the carboy when you have krausen stuck there.

Other than that, everything you need but bottles and a pot to boil in are included in the kit. It even looks like you got a bonus with 2 cappers. Things that you will like to have are an autosiphon and a wort chiller.

So, I picked up the kit today. It's from Midwest Brewing, Looks like the basic starrter kit. Huge problem with the Glass carbouy, it has 2 very dried up dead mice in it, kit is 10 years old, never been used. I will not even try to clean the mice out, I am assuming I need the carbouy or no???. Kit came with a video ( on VHS, pictured and I apologize I couldn't flip pic to be right side up. ) I'll list whats here and ask what else I should get thats NEEDED, asided from the extract kit itself.

Lol dead mice. You should be ok dumping the mice outside and let nature take care of it. If it eases your mind soak the carboy in some cleaner for a few hours. It's glass so it wouldn't have absorbed anything nasty.

As far as needing carboys, they're not necessary probably 90% of the time, but they're good for long aging strong beers, dryhopping and especially for oaking and adding fruits etc to the beer.

You didn't list it but did it come with an Auto-Siphon? If not you need that, trust me.

The shorter brush is a bottle brush,& I see you have what looks like a hydrometer in that tube. NB has a thick blue hard foam washer that goes on the bottom of that tube as a base for $1.60. I love how it stabilizes the hydrometer tube for testing. Also,watch my 2 gadget videos on Youtube for all the little things that make brew & bottling days easier & faster. You'll def WANT those!:mug: Matter of fact,here they are;

Last edited by a moderator:
I failed to mention that the nice are solidly decayed to the bottom. I tried scraping then with the L brush and they didn't budge. Perhaps pouring some hot water and letting them soak may help. I will try but I have watched about 6 videos and read the brewing book that cane with the kit and it seems I don't need the carboy anyways. Ill just use the 2 buckets. I think I'm leaning towards a honey wheat ale to start or an irish red. The video in the kit is ok, but is missing some info that was in others, like how long to ferment before bottling. Who has recipe kids with video instruction. The Midwest Brewery kit was partial mash, which doesn't look hard to do just a few mire steos and a muslin bag needed.

I prefer to use a paint strainer bag that'll fit ofer the lip of the kettle with a cake cooling rack in the bottom to keep it from burning. Then lash a floating thermometer to the kettle handle to monitor temps. The paint strainer bag allows stirring of the mash to break up dough balls & get the grains evely wetted for higher effciency. I wrap it up in an old quilted hunting coat to maintain temps during the one hour mash. Would work just as well with steeping too.

Use a stick to dislodge the mice. I would look for something like a long dowel so I could reach the bottom easily and still have enough sticking out of the carboy to pry a bit if necessary. Trust me, dry dead mice are much nicer to deal with than soaking wet dead mice.

Latest posts

Back