Compilation of Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesbsmith

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After frustration with a lot of useless recipes which seem to be out there, I have put together a list of recipes, which I like and I believe should be reliable. I have also given the processes I use, and other information I find useful! I have provided a few links to books on Amazon, which I read and found very helpful, and not with the intention of trying to sell anything!

I hope you do too:

www.thewinemakersgoodbrewbook.com/

Happy drinking :)

PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO SPAM ON MY SITE!

NOTE! With this being the first site I have made, and with it in its infancy, I have had some feedback regarding its name being a little misleading, using the word "Brew" when it is a wine only site. I welcome more feedback regarding this and any other issues, and will make necessary updates to make it less confusing. The aim of the site is to gather useful information on winemaking and consolidate it to provide a simple and reliable guide to making good wine. If I am causing further confusion to readers, I am failing in this attempt, so ANY feedback is essential for me to provide an easy, reliable guide! Please do give feedback!

If anyone has any favourite recipes they would like going on my site, please email me. I will not pass anything not by me off as my own and will include any links to the authors sites etc. Thanks!

Logo.jpg

Hi Guys,

After frustration with a lot of useless recipes which seem to be out there, I have put together a list of recipes, which I like and I believe should be reliable. I have also given the processes I use, and other information I find useful!

I hope you do too:

www.thewinemakersgoodbrewbook.com/

Happy drinking :)

Dude,
With all the recipes available on this forum, why do I need to buy your book?

But nice try!
:fro:

Dude,
With all the recipes available on this forum, why do I need to buy your book?

But nice try!
:fro:

Im not selling a book! They're free to take what you want!
The reason I have put them on a site is that I am constantly tweaking and building up the recipes. I like having all my favourite recipes in the same place!

All my measuring equipment is in quarters or thirds pounds or ounces. How much does a K weigh is it a pound or a ton? Is a Kg an inch or is a mile?

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer - does this help:

AMERICAN LIQUID MEASURES

1 cup US = 240ml
1 pint US = 480ml
1 quart US = 950ml

AMERICAN SPOON MEASURES
1 level tablespoon sugar = 28g sugar

AMERICAN SOLID MEASURES

1 cup brown sugar = 170g brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar = 170g granulated sugar
1 cup sultanas = 140g sultanas

IMPERIAL TO METRIC

1 oz = 30g
4 oz = 110g
1lb = 450g

1 fl.oz = 30ml
5 fl.oz or 1/4pt = 150ml
20 fl.oz or 1pt =600ml

You've obviously put some effort into making that site. Informational resources are always valuable.
As well, one very good way of becoming more knowledgeable is to research and write.

I just want to point out that the title of your site "The Winemakers Good Brew Book" specifically implies a winemaker who is making a foray into brewing beer.

One does not "brew" wine in any way shape or form.
Even in cases of using heat in the extraction process with grapes it is not "brewing".

While there are some wine/beer hybrids which do not yet quite have an entirely standardized name or method, that is pretty rarefied stuff. For what it's worth you can find a bit about beer/wine hybrids on the Winemaking Forum on HBT under the thread: "What grapes would do well in a beer? ", which in theory is either about blending wine and beer or possibly mashing and then adding a wine must to it for fermentation.
In any regard this is still not "winemaking as brewing".

As the URL name of your site is already specific you have a couple possibilities IF you want to bring the topic more into line with the content ...

You could actually change the name. (such as change it to "The Winemakers & Brewers Good Book")

You could print an introductory explanation about the intentional use of the term "brew" with "winemakers". A bit too much dancing I would think.
Yes, in a roundabout way you can "brew up a story" or there can be "trouble brewing" ... but here we are talking specifically about fermented alcoholic beverages. I think it does not serve you well.

Or, you could actually try to find enough content about how winemakers can migrate to brewing. This I'd think would run out of steam very quickly.

In any regard, kudos though to you for taking the time to research and write.
Personally I like the ring of the title: " "The Winemakers & Brewers Good Book" ... yours to use without license or remuneration ;-)

Best of luck.

I think you have dwelled a little too much on my web / site address. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure Jacob Marley's issue is the "cover" of the book. The use of inappropriate or inaccurate terminology suggests a more substantial weakness than the power of a first impression. It suggests the presence of an unreliable guide or author .

Hi Bernard & Jacob, With regards to the site name, I am aware that brewing is the process of making beer or tea, but I like the alliteration of Brew & Book, (the name is also a reference to the Anarchists Cook Book, which isnt about cooking)! Myself and my friends all refer to my wines as home brew, which is where the idea of the name came from. Also the guide isnt a book, but I quite liked the ring to it! Lets just call it artistic license!

The aim of my site is to share some advice which has taken me a long time and a lot of effort to gather, and give fellow winemakers a short cut to making good wine!

Its a little disheartening that such scrutiny has been directed at the title.

Hi Bernard & Jacob, With regards to the site name, I am aware that brewing is the process of making beer or tea, but I like the alliteration of Brew & Book, (the name is also a reference to the Anarchists Cook Book, which isnt about cooking)! Myself and my friends all refer to my wines as home brew, which is where the idea of the name came from. Also the guide isnt a book, but I quite liked the ring to it! Lets just call it artistic license!

The aim of my site is to share some advice which has taken me a long time and a lot of effort to gather, and give fellow winemakers a short cut to making good wine!

Lets just call it artistic license.

Didn't mean to dishearten you. In the way that proofreading something is meant to help, so was my comment. I tried to be positive in the overall. Apologies if it did not read that way.
And yep, there is something to be said for artistic license. Like you mention, I like the alliteration too; it's just that making wine/beer is such a technical thing I thought that the point I was making, certainly constructive criticism and not meant to demean or be mean-spirited in any way ... would be welcome. Anyhow. Regards.

I have realised my site name is wrong in all respects!

The term "Wine" only applies to wine made from grapes. Wines made from other fruits, should be superseded by the name of the fruit. As most of my recipes are for non grape wines, it should be "The Fruit Winemakers...".

The word "Good" is subjective. I think its is a good guide. Many others may think it is awful!

The process of winemaking doesnt involve brewing at any stage, so that word also is untrue, as is the word "Book" with it being a web site!

I hope my inaccurate, and misleading site name doesnt deter too many readers, but I believe the content of the site is very reliable and accurate and hopefully speaks for itself.

If anyone can think of a better name, I may change it to that!

The "Fruit Winemakers (insert opinion of site here) Recipe Site" doesnt seem to have the same appeal to it! :confused:

On another note, a mate of mine who is a multi award wining wine and beer maker and also judges both at shows, has a great video on juice extraction. Its lengthy, but has got some good tips!

Im going to include it on my site, when I work out how!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have realised my site name is wrong in all respects!

The term "Wine" only applies to wine made from grapes. Wines made from other fruits, should be superseded by the name of the fruit. As most of my recipes are for non grape wines, it should be "The Fruit Winemakers...".

The word "Good" is subjective. I think its is a good guide. Many others may think it is awful!

The process of winemaking doesnt involve brewing at any stage, so that word also is untrue, as is the word "Book" with it being a web site!

I hope my inaccurate, and misleading site name doesnt deter too many readers, but I believe the content of the site is very reliable and accurate and hopefully speaks for itself.

If anyone can think of a better name, I may change it to that!

The "Fruit Winemakers (insert opinion of site here) Recipe Site" doesnt seem to have the same appeal to it! :confused:

On another note, a mate of mine who is a multi award wining wine and beer maker and also judges both at shows, has a great video on juice extraction. Its lengthy, but has got some good tips!

Im going to include it on my site, when I work out how!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP01y8MBGno

For what it's worth ... my additional .2cents (ok, I guess I'm up to a dime, er, a shilling. Maybe a crown? ;-) ...

In general, I think it is worth avoiding too much limiting specificity in the title because over time, as your site grows and is added to, you may very well include information on grape wine and also brewing. Not limiting yourself now will help retain the option of adding that information later.

Though I make much less grape wine compared to all the fruit wine I make, I still refer to fruit wine as just "wine". And I am a "wine"maker.
It's true that some purists may like to argue that only grape wine can be called "wine", and that fruit wine should be called something like "fermented fruit juice" or at best "country wine" (a ridiculous term if I've ever heard one ... as if grapes don't grow in the country), none the less I find that the term "wine" works just fine. I think the argument is pointless. Not a big issue I think. I'd just use "wine".

In particular I would not add the term "fruit" to the title as you may very well eventually include recipes which are in part, or in whole, grape wine recipes. You don't want to hem yourself in too much I'd think.
Same with adding the word "recipe". Your site already is more than just recipes. If anything the word "recipes" could be included in the Subtitle ... the secondary sentence of information, relating to the first. For example, in the venerable classic "An Essay on Brewing, Vintage and Distillation Together with Selected Remedies for Hangover Melancholia, or How to Make Booze" ... "how to make booze" is the subtitle and elaborates on the main title. A great many books use subtitles and examples better than the one I present (which just happened to be in front of me at this moment), abound.
If you goto any book site (amazon etc) you can find ton of examples.

As far as the word "good". When I read the title of your page the word "good" struck me as the same connotation as its use in the title (for instance) "Good Richards Almanac" (yes I know the guys name is Good Richard). This sort of use is more a reference to "good faith" or "decency" or the "intent" rather than whether something is of some particular level of technical quality. Note too that the term "good book" could be a play on the reference to the Bible ... and in fact large technical references are sometimes referred to as "bibles". In any regard I'd think the word "good" a reference to decency or intention ... not technicality.

As far as the word "book" ... personally I think it is fine, and in fact is a sort of reference to a more traditional way of regarding the presentation of information, which is in "book" format. I think it a bit of a quaint throwback. I'd keep it.

As far as winemaking verses brewing ... you are right there; the terms are are totally separate. As noted in my previous comments that leaves you with some specific choices to bring the title and the content more into line with each other.

I still like the title I suggested earlier. "The Winemakers & Brewers Good Book". You could in fact add a subtitle to flesh it out a bit if you prefer ... say ... "The Winemakers & Brewers Good Book; an anthology of recipes, methods and reflections on the craft."
Mind you that would not be the URL. The web address could still be something else such as "WinemakersBrewersGoodBook". (Note that you should not use an ampersand ("&") in a URL.)

Cheers Jacob,

I have no plans on making beer. I would have to become a full blown alcoholic to justify making even more booze! I like beer, but I dont have the same passion for it as I have wine. Id prefer to concentrate on wine, and give good advice rather than not so good advice on beer.

I was initially going to use "The Winemakers Good Book" with the reference to the Bible. I was even going to try and get a picture of Jesus turning water into wine, but then I thought that some people may be insulted! As I said, I do like the alliteration of "Brew Book", and it makes me think if the Anarchists "Cook Book". Like you use the term "Wine" for "Fruit Wine", I wrongly term my produce "Home Brew", which is why I went for what I did.

I may change it to "The Winemakers Good Book". What do other readers think?

Ive put a load more recipes onto my site.

Can I just want to clarify - I am not trying to sell anything. My home page contains a few links to some great books, which helped me create the site, and are meant as further reading. I am not on commission and most of the books are no longer in publication!

All the best - happy drinking!

Latest posts

Back