Comparing SNA Protocols

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDrinkRepeat

Reaction score
I've seen several different SNA protocols recommended across various sources:

1. 2g SNA once per day, four total additions.
  2. 2g SNA once every other day, four total additions.
  3. Same as the above, but the fourth addition based on gravity not the calendar (and even for this, there are two choices: some say @ 30% fermented, some say with 30% remaining)
  4. 9.4g for the first addition, 6g for the second, 1.9 for the third, no fourth.

Curious which one people use more (and why), or if there are others I am unaware of.

It is always best to add by gravity than calendar for several reasons. The first reason is just monitoring, ie What if the yeast stalled out and there was no gravity change from a few days ago? The second reason has to do with yeast metabolism. Slowly feeding the yeast along keeps them happier and less stressed.

I tend to do 3 additions. The first upfront, second at 2/3 sugar break, and last at 1/3 sugar break. I add Fermaid K and DAP for each addition. Some folks say don't add DAP for the last addition due to a study done in wine, but I find those last points are slow when I exclude it.

Since I started doing things this way, my ferments (SG<1.12) wents from months to about 10 days. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

It is always best to add by gravity than calendar for several reasons. The first reason is just monitoring, ie What if the yeast stalled out and there was no gravity change from a few days ago? The second reason has to do with yeast metabolism. Slowly feeding the yeast along keeps them happier and less stressed.

I tend to do 3 additions. The first upfront, second at 2/3 sugar break, and last at 1/3 sugar break. I add Fermaid K and DAP for each addition. Some folks say don't add DAP for the last addition due to a study done in wine, but I find those last points are slow when I exclude it.

Since I started doing things this way, my ferments (SG<1.12) wents from months to about 10 days. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Good info, thanks for posting!

For your three additions, what is your nutrient mix ratio and how much do you pitch at each addition?

It's 2:1 Fermaid K:DAP. I add 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K and 1/4 tsp DAP per addition per gallon of must.

I like to bump it up a bit with 5 gallon batches to speed things along. I use 2 TBSP Fermaid K and 1 TBSP DAP per addition for 5 gallons.

In addition, I always add potassium carbonate to buffer the pH and add K+. One time addition of 1/4 tsp for a gallon and 3/4 TBSP for 5 gallons. If I am using a particularly acidic fruit or fruit juice, I'll double it.

This is how I do BOMMs and wine yeast based meads.

Better brewing through science!

Interesting, I've always done the opposite (4g of Fermaid K and 8g of DAP*). Yet another set of options! :)

* total SNA mix for a ~5 gallon batch, added in four 2g doses.

Interesting, I've always done the opposite (4g of Fermaid K and 8g of DAP*). Yet another set of options! :)

* total SNA mix for a ~5 gallon batch, added in four 2g doses.

Odd, I've not heard of using more DAP than Fermaid. I'll say that I advocate for using mass rather than volume for my additions. Just remember to keep the nutrients in proportion. You don't want to overload with nutrients or the mead will smell like vitamins and/or ammonia. I've experimented with each of them and find they all work about the same. In my experience, the bigger key to a quick and vigorous ferment is degassing throughout primary and aeration the first 48hrs or so.

I got the 2:1 Fermaid-to-DAP ratio originally from Curt Stock and then also from Steve Piatz's book. Hi-test's honey spreadsheet calls for an even ratio, added in three decreasing amounts. This thread is actually the first I've seen the 2:1 DAP-to-Fermaid ratio (but I take it this is more the normal recommendation on HBT?).

I, too, go by mass, weighing out the nutrients on my gram scale, not using teaspoon measures.

I degass / aerate three times per day, and was planning on doing so for the first 6 or 7 days (in particular this blueberry mel I'm making right now, which is fermenting very slowly...)

Back