Compact, Portable Keezer Build (7 cf Lowes special)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nab911

Reaction score
So I recently bought a condo in Atlanta and have been building my brewery to be ultra portable, compact and efficient. This thread is about my keezer build.

First the requirements:
Looks - It must be visually appealing and match the current style of the house. This means wood trimmed, possibly tile lid.

Size - it has to fit through all hallways and doors. This mean the maximum dimensions are 25" deep, 40" long. Period. Height is not a concern really.

Compact/Portable - this goes along with the size but it needs to be ALMOST fully contained. I'll discuss this piece later.

Out side of those, I was free to get about as crazy as I like. I wanted to fit as many kegs as possible. If you are gonna do, do it right. I also wanted a stout faucet and nitro pours. I have always been a huge fan of a nice Guinness nitro pour along with many other beers on nitro.

First off, I decided on the 7 cubic foot Lowes special. It seems as though the Holiday keezer on here is the exact same as the current Idylis series from lowes. Down to the model number, the only difference is one letter.

So, I ordered the freezer on saturday when I found a 10% off coupon. Came home today and this was sitting in my living room:

399E64AB-D19D-4FA4-B932-65CAC302C93D_zpsjypyfgqd.jpg

They even unpacked it and took away the trash! Great service and all for $183 delivered.

I had already built the rolling base:

073BB286-C59E-4FE4-9207-081A98EB9124_zpszdxkdant.jpg

FDC067A3-DE56-4030-BB7F-28B981B7F6AF_zpsvfylj8yg.jpg

So, I started to test fit with my intended setup. I wanted 5 kegs inside and the shortest collar possible. I have 5 ball lock kegs, one of which is a converted. This means 5 kegs, and a 5lb co2 bottle with a minimal collar because the converted keg is shorter than a true ball lock:

F9A2FF5B-C751-4263-95B7-F8DA7A5DC2DF_zpsmqh47oqu.jpg

So next step was to following the guide on here to see if I can get a good temp without a temp controller. Found the thermostat coarse adjustment screw and it was very easy to pull the panel out and adjust so now I am just waiting for the results!

545169D6-17B9-4C9D-837D-09293AED06AD_zpspoe8p6is.jpg

Sorry for rambling and for all of the pics, just pumped about the project! Ill keep updating this thread with the build.

Did some tinkering this morning and really hit the sweet spot: That back corner can actually fit the other 5# nitro tank if there is a riser to get the regulator up over the kegs.

DEC9A910-79A0-41B4-B65B-8077A5C28A17_zpsimhqpkar.jpg

With everything now fitting inside, I might swap my one converted pin lock for a true ball lock and get a 10# tank. The 2 tanks I used to mock up are the nitro and the tank for my rolling kegacooler.

Picking up gas lines and disconnects locally tomorrow. Just placed my order for all other parts such as remaining faucets, shanks, etc from ritebrew.com and knowing how aweome they are it might be sitting there when I get home ;).

My plans and sketchup model are just about done so I might go ahead this weekend and head up to my parents and get all of the wood cut. My father has a contractor and very skilled carpenter so I figure it will be easiest to cut most of everything up there and stain/assemble it here. Plus he is a bit of a hoarder and has a ton of high quality oak I can use to cut down a good bit on the cost.

Wow that is compact for sure! Cant wait to see how it turns out.

I've been thinking of grabbing a couple of these freezers for a fermentation chamber and a keezer, so I can't wait to see how yours turns out

Should make some good progress this weekend. Have also decided to pick up a cheap tablet on CL and use a remote webserver and raspberryPints to have a digital tap list. Gonna see if I can either build it it in or come up with some clever way of displaying it.

Also, the internal thermostat will only go up to about 30-32 degrees F. Luckily I picked up a cheap Docooler temp controller on ebay which should be coming in soon. Going to try to mount all of the wiring, controller, etc. in the compressor compartment if not close so it is all hidden but accessible.

So after you swap the converted pin lock for another ball lock, it will fit 5 ball locks, a 10lb C02 and 5 lb Nitro tank?

So after you swap the converted pin lock for another ball lock, it will fit 5 ball locks, a 10lb C02 and 5 lb Nitro tank?

Gonna do another measure tonight just to make sure. I might even buy a 15# co2 because it should be the same diameter and the height with a 1x8 collar should JUST clear. Ill report back!

So the 10# tank defintely fits. A 7.25" saw blade clears all of the way down. I think I would need an extra inch to get a 15# in there, but at this point... I might just go for it because its only like $6 more from Beverage Elements.

Gonna decide when I get up to my parents on saturday and see what wood is there and what I have to buy and what my options are. Right now, all of my measurements are for a common 2x8 collar but who knows!

3140A55D-0FC4-4892-8E93-D811C4FC84B0_zps56vds9lh.jpg

403B4C1B-7370-4BCB-8DB5-87670A65D379_zpsjrnqizaa.jpg

Also to note: I have decided to copy some other designs on here and build a 2" pvc "manifold" for the bottom with a grate on it. Have a tube coming off of a T coming up and have air blowing down into and up around all of the kegs. With as tight as everything is, I am going to need to promote good circulation and have some efficiency in here!

Air Circulation Idea: As far as air circulation you could raise the floor a few inches by placing some wood under a wire shelf, and then strategically tying a computer fan to the underneath of the wire shelf so that it blows between two kegs and the wall. The idea (and this is just an idea) being that the kegs act as a replacement for the PVC tube. That in of itself might provide enough air movement.

Hey I was thinking of getting that same freezer as a fermentation chamber. Think it would fit two 6 gal Better Bottles without a collar?

Hey I was thinking of getting that same freezer as a fermentation chamber. Think it would fit two 6 gal Better Bottles without a collar?

I don't have any to test it with but the dimensions in the Freezer Sizing sticky are pretty spot on. Whats the max diameter of it? I can measure and see.

Also, just saw that my controller came in on saturday... must be in the mail box. I am going to get the collar built and controller wired up tonight.

Got the collar built and mocked in. Went ahead and mounted the freezer lid to it. It's a bit off kilter and out of square but its really not a problem with my design. Gonna get something at HD tomorrow to seal it down to the freezer itself. As I figured, with the MFL connectors on, its about 1/8th" too short. Luckily I have one, non MFL gas fitting I can use for that hookup. A 15# tank would not fit as is so I am going to go with a 10#.

B5FA73A1-0919-4CDD-80BF-A0F1212C4E58_zps59lg0hc9.jpg

Also wired up my Docooler temp controller and its just strung out there atm because its pretty versatile. The main power is a 7ft power strip. A multi port extension cord runs from that, through the temp controller and then the freezer plugs into that. So I about 6 free, always on ports and 2 free, switched ports. I will hook fans to the switched ports and lighting to the always on.

ADEEA226-B9DC-49CE-AFFF-36F730430336_zpsqirfuj9t.jpg

I don't have any to test it with but the dimensions in the Freezer Sizing sticky are pretty spot on. Whats the max diameter of it? I can measure and see.

Also, just saw that my controller came in on saturday... must be in the mail box. I am going to get the collar built and controller wired up tonight.

It's 11 3/8" diameter and just shy of 24" high with airlock. I'm laid up with a stupid blown out knee, or I'd get out to a Lowes and measure! Was hoping to get two on the floor next to the hump. Thanks!

I just bought 2 of these over the weekend and can confirm that 2 better bottles will fit. I ordered online and used coupon code 470000000033100 for 10% off and free delivery.

It's 11 3/8" diameter and just shy of 24" high with airlock. I'm laid up with a stupid blown out knee, or I'd get out to a Lowes and measure! Was hoping to get two on the floor next to the hump. Thanks!

Can't leave yall all weekend without some sort of teaser :).

DAC62E39-08E5-4738-8006-84B1952B555E_zpseir8ymju.jpg

I bailed out of work early and cut over to my parents and got all of the lumber cut. Having meticulously planned in sketchup, I was comfortable making all of the cuts there, and staining down here and then assembling. It's gonna be tuesday before I get a chance to start staining as we got the GT football game tomorrow, nascar on sunday, and family stuff on monday. I am going to stain first, then assemble, then poly.

Got one side of all of the trim and the top panel stained. Being in a condo though I only have so much surface area. Read: the down side of all of the panels balanced on corny kegs lol.

BD553650-F566-42A0-8AFA-8989210170C7_zpssavqv08j.jpg

38554283-A864-414D-8B15-F4309F759534_zpsnftjsjhd.jpg

So I recently bought a condo in Atlanta and have been building my brewery to be ultra portable, compact and efficient. This thread is about my keezer build.

First the requirements:
Looks - It must be visually appealing and match the current style of the house. This means wood trimmed, possibly tile lid.

Size - it has to fit through all hallways and doors. This mean the maximum dimensions are 25" deep, 40" long. Period. Height is not a concern really.

Compact/Portable - this goes along with the size but it needs to be ALMOST fully contained. I'll discuss this piece later.

Out side of those, I was free to get about as crazy as I like. I wanted to fit as many kegs as possible. If you are gonna do, do it right. I also wanted a stout faucet and nitro pours. I have always been a huge fan of a nice Guinness nitro pour along with many other beers on nitro.

First off, I decided on the 7 cubic foot Lowes special. It seems as though the Holiday keezer on here is the exact same as the current Idylis series from lowes. Down to the model number, the only difference is one letter.

So, I ordered the freezer on saturday when I found a 10% off coupon. Came home today and this was sitting in my living room:

399E64AB-D19D-4FA4-B932-65CAC302C93D_zpsjypyfgqd.jpg

They even unpacked it and took away the trash! Great service and all for $183 delivered.

I had already built the rolling base:

073BB286-C59E-4FE4-9207-081A98EB9124_zpszdxkdant.jpg

FDC067A3-DE56-4030-BB7F-28B981B7F6AF_zpsvfylj8yg.jpg

So, I started to test fit with my intended setup. I wanted 5 kegs inside and the shortest collar possible. I have 5 ball lock kegs, one of which is a converted. This means 5 kegs, and a 5lb co2 bottle with a minimal collar because the converted keg is shorter than a true ball lock:

F9A2FF5B-C751-4263-95B7-F8DA7A5DC2DF_zpsmqh47oqu.jpg

So next step was to following the guide on here to see if I can get a good temp without a temp controller. Found the thermostat coarse adjustment screw and it was very easy to pull the panel out and adjust so now I am just waiting for the results!

545169D6-17B9-4C9D-837D-09293AED06AD_zpspoe8p6is.jpg

Sorry for rambling and for all of the pics, just pumped about the project! Ill keep updating this thread with the build.

I like the pictures! Keep them coming!

I recently got the 5cu ft version of this freezer for a fermentation chamber. I'm amazed at how much you can fit in the 7cu ft version. Keep the updates coming :mug:

How many turns and which way did you make to get it to a good temperature? I just bought the Idylis 7 cu ft tonight and am playing around with it.

Did yours also have yellow rubbery compound around the screw keeping it set?

Zach

How many turns and which way did you make to get it to a good temperature? I just bought the Idylis 7 cu ft tonight and am playing around with it.

Did yours also have yellow rubbery compound around the screw keeping it set?

Zach

Yeah it did and unfortunately, that screw will only get you to about 30F. You are going to need a temp controller. I am using the cheap $12 one from amazon/ebay and it works great.

Looking good so far. can't wait to see this come together.
Nice job.

Ill post a big update tonight. I made a huge goofball mistake and put the top on backwards and did not realize until after the liquid nails had cured so I had to ditch the stock hinges and come up with a new solution but I think I have it worked out. Coffin gets built this afternoon.

Really beautiful keezer project!

One thing... If you're going to encase the freezer with the wood panels and strips, will the freezer still be able to adequately chill its outside, where the hot coils are?

I thought about all of that when planning it. There is a 1 inch gap all of the way around and I will add fans if needed but after the initial cooldown, it really does not warm up at all.

I thought about all of that when planning it. There is a 1 inch gap all of the way around and I will add fans if needed but after the initial cooldown, it really does not warm up at all.

Excellent planning!

And sure, it doesn't have to go down to -4°F either.

Excellent planning!

And sure, it doesn't have to go down to -4°F either.

Yeah. If you let it warm all of the way up and cool back down its gets pretty warm to the touch but should not be much of an issue at all. I would almost say that the gap is not even needed but it was one of those things where you can't ADD a gap in after :).

Got a lot done tonight. Start assembling the coffin and while that was drying I went ahead and bored out the hole for the temp controller.

Also got the new hinges attached and glued. Had to use a shim piece to get them to line up correctly. Every bit is liquid nails'ed and screwed in. Gonna let it cure for a week before opening again but it already feels solid as a rock so I really dodged that land mine.

It was a ***** cutting out the whole for the temp controller but I used the hole saw that I used to bore the shanks to put 3 holes and then routed with a roto zip. Fits in there very snuggly.

Coffin is simply liquid nails'ed right now but I might go back and add some bracing inside but that will all come as I plan out how to route the lines, foam, air, etc. Can't wait to pull a beer off this!

CA205D17-21FB-4712-853A-5086B7F92037_zpskd6ht7bn.jpg

E1F8EC65-EDAE-4D4D-B82D-4AF96ADEF23B_zpsdluietvu.jpg

475FD3FF-68B8-4F7C-9ED7-247462A8A326_zpsmydxq43r.jpg

D7589113-3EA4-44C5-93D9-E156276235D5_zpsutpk76yk.jpg

I am going to try to get a lot done tonight. Realized that I could easily hook up a line so I got my first pull this saturday before the football game. After that I got excited and have ignored the rest of the staining and casing and have been focusing on finishing up the coffin so that this is fully operational :).

IMG_3023_zps907b2d1e.jpg

Also got my 10# tank in from homebrewing.org. Just over $70 shipped, look fantastic and costs the same $11 that a 5# bottle does at a local restaurant supply store down here. Also kegged up and am carbing a cider for the mrs and a pinot blanc that I am going to serve on nitro.

IMG_3030_zpsb286db6e.jpg

Are you putting a fan or anything in the coffin to help keep the lines cold? Do you still think the nitro tank will fit along with the 10# co2?

Can't wait to build my own version of this in a few months!

Are you putting a fan or anything in the coffin to help keep the lines cold? Do you still think the nitro tank will fit along with the 10# co2?

Can't wait to build my own version of this in a few months!

Just ordered a pair of high power 12V fans I am going to wire in. One will be always on, blowing air through a smooth, duct foil lined path in the coffin. The 2nd will probably be switched with the compressor and cycle air around the freezer itself. Trying to get a lot done today as im going to NYC for the weekend.

I got some of the hole drilled out for the coffin vent but the drill kept dying. Going though oak, then metal, then layers of foam really takes a lot!

Back