Compact paint can fermentation heater build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
I use a mini fridge for my fermentation chamber and have very limited space for a heat source. I tried the $40 24w reptile pad that seemed like a great choice and it came up short. I tried the ceramic space heater, but couldn't find one that fit. So I thought about the pain can, but knew the full size one wouldn't fit. I went to HD to try and figure something out. I ended up finding a 1 quart size paint can and I went with it. Here's my parts list:

1 quart paint can $2.97
Bottom turn knob socket $3.49
6' white extension cord $1.47
2 pack of GE 60w clear fan bulbs (these are shorter to fit in can) $3.87

Total- $11.80 (including an extra bulb)

This setup is nice because it has a knob to turn it on and off outside the can. I used a 3/8" bit to drill the hole for the socket and 1/4" for the extension cord.

image.jpg

How is yours working out ? I did the similar build, gonna run everything through is paces tomorrow.

I had to put this together, but ultimately I ended up just leaving my current batch in my chamber inside the house and it's been holding temp well. Outside it wasn't at all. So we'll see with my next batch. I was curious though, does anyone set anything underneath it? It seems to get pretty hot.

Looks good OP!

I built one for the SOFC I made and just hung the paint can by its handle in the cooling chamber with a wooden dowel. Worked great till the bulb burned out this last batch. I think mine ran on a 40w or 60w incandescent bulb and it lasted a little longer than one year. However I have a STC1000 controlling it so things did not over heat.

I have a stc-100, controlling mine as well. Think I may hang mine as well, and add a PC fan blowing aross to move the heat in the chamber. I built a Frankenstein side-by-side utilizing the freezer for a 3 tap kegerator and fridge side for my ferm.

I like the hanging idea as well. I may hang it from the small freezer compartment of my mini fridge. I should probably add a fan as well. Are you going to wire it in with the light socket or wire it else where?

I just have a small fridge with enough room to fit one bucket. So I have cords runnin outside for everything. I have several computer fans. Is there anything wrong with wiring one into the heat side of my stc 1000? Or should it always be on?

Edit: Just read an earlier post that said you have a PC fan.

Back