Comp entry category question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Bohemian pilsner (3B - Czech Premium Pale Lager), but instead of Saaz I went with some homegrown Sterling, because Sterling is frequently listed as a Saaz substitute/replacement. Unfortunately my Sterlings have an intense "Fruity Pebbles" character, rather than the floral/spicy notes of Saaz. Yes, it's the hops; no, it's not a fermentation fault.

So, what would be a good category to enter this into for competition purposes? It's not a 3B, and I don't think it really fits the 34 - Specialty. It could *almost* pass as a kölsch, but it's the wrong kind of 'fruitiness', and a little north of subtle.

I'm leaning toward 18A - Blond Ale, but if anyone has other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

MAYBE... just don't enter it into competition if it won't score well. Just enjoy it for whatever it is.

If you have a dying need to enter it, then do 34B Mixed-Style, and figure out what else besides a Bo Pils it tastes like.

I'm leaning toward 18A - Blond Ale, but if anyone has other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Your beer may be more bitter (and perhaps more balanced towards bitter) than the guidelines for a Blond Ale allow. The other option might be the Experimental beer, described as a Fruity Pebbles Pilsner or something like that.

Maybe enter it into a few categories and see what feedback you get.

MAYBE... just don't enter it into competition if it won't score well. Just enjoy it for whatever it is.
You're talking nonsense! j/k. It's a really good beer, and I think it'd do well in the right category, but a Bo Pils it ain't.

Your beer may be more bitter (and perhaps more balanced towards bitter) than the guidelines for a Blond Ale allow. The other option might be the Experimental beer, described as a Fruity Pebbles Pilsner or something like that.

Maybe enter it into a few categories and see what feedback you get.
I thought about going the Experimental route. As for the Blond, the bitterness is there, but I started from distilled water with a little CaCl2, so it's a soft bitterness that may go somewhat unnoticed, even in a softer style like Blond.

As for multiple categories, I was planning on entering it into NHC, so I probably need to pick one. I have other beers I could enter, but it's a solid beer, whatever it is.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like way more flavor than I'd expect in a blonde unless your fruity pebbles is a relativley subtle thing.

"Easy-drinking, approachable, maltoriented American craft beer, often with interesting fruit, hop, or character malt notes. Well-balanced and clean, is a refreshing pint without aggressive flavors."

I'd be worried that the "without aggressive flavors" would come back to bite you, but the "with interesting fruit, hop, or character malt notes" is encouraging.

Latest posts

Back