Common in Milk Stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
Brewed my first milk stout from a Northern Brewer all grain kit.

MASH INGREDIENTS
- 8 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt
- 0.75 lbs. Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
- 0.25 lbs. English Extra Dark Crystal
- 0.75 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
- 0.75 oz. Cluster (60 min)
- 1 lb Lactose (60 min)
- .5 oz. Cluster (30 min)

SECONDARY ADDITIONS
- 4 oz. Cacao Nibs

Did all the above spot on hit my OG of 1.050. Primary fermentation went well, moved to secondary and racked ontop of the nibs. Flash forward 10+ days and I'm ready to keg/bottle and I notice a film on top which is similar to a lacto infection (white cracked ice like with bubbles), but the flavoring hasnt started to go off and it tastes normal. Reason I bring this all up is it seems like there have been several posts about the same milk stout and infection looking film. Is this something typical with using the lactose or nibs?

Brewed my first milk stout from a Northern Brewer all grain kit.

MASH INGREDIENTS
- 8 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt
- 0.75 lbs. Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
- 0.25 lbs. English Extra Dark Crystal
- 0.75 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
- 0.75 oz. Cluster (60 min)
- 1 lb Lactose (60 min)
- .5 oz. Cluster (30 min)

SECONDARY ADDITIONS
- 4 oz. Cacao Nibs

Did all the above spot on hit my OG of 1.050. Primary fermentation went well, moved to secondary and racked ontop of the nibs. Flash forward 10+ days and I'm ready to keg/bottle and I notice a film on top which is similar to a lacto infection (white cracked ice like with bubbles), but the flavoring hasnt started to go off and it tastes normal. Reason I bring this all up is it seems like there have been several posts about the same milk stout and infection looking film. Is this something typical with using the lactose or nibs?

I am guessing that is the fat from the Nibs

I've seen something similar with my stout with cocoa nibs, but it never got white. I agree with chemman14 that it's probably the fat from the nibs.

Back