Commercial Whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmobrewer

Reaction score
I have been looking and cant find a good answer anywhere else about this. Figured I would ask my favorite forum :).

When commercial breweries whirlpool how do they remove the wort and leave the trub cone? Is there some sort of racking arm in the whirlpool tank? Thanks!

The commercial applications I've seen are a separate vessel where hot wort is pumped into the whirlpool tank from the kettle at a high speed through a 90 elbow mounted in the bottom side wall (to get rotation).

Wort is allowed to slow for 30-45 min and then tapped through a separate outlet in a small trough at the outermost bottom of the tank.

Generally a few minutes of active whirlpooling and then 20-40 minutes of rest time. Racking arm is not necessary, there's just a hole or port on the side/bottom of the kettle.

The bottom of the kettle is slightly domed and the kettle we use, we have an outlet on the side of the kettle at the highest part of the bottom. There is a drain at the center in the lowest part as well to get the trub out. Whirlpooling gets most of the trub out but not all.

Back