comments on blackberry stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAdrinker

Reaction score
I found this recipe for a blackberry stout after drinking a blueberry oatmeal stout that amazed me. I wanted to try something along these lines, I'm just not sure if I should try this recipe or try a more complex oatmeal recipe and just add the berries in at flameout. Also, this recipe says to dump the "whole mess" in to primary. Does that mean all the crud at the bottom of the BK? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks

http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=578

Sounds pretty good. I like the blackberry idea. I would add them at the end of the boil. I'm thinking I may do this pretty soon.

thanks, should i puree or just add whole blackberrys? if using frozen should i thaw them first? I was thinkin of thawing them and puttin them in a mesh bag if i put them in the end of the boil then dumping them in the primary after they steep for about 20 min

Hmmm...... Blackberries have seeds. If you throw them in the blender the seeds will become part of the puree. Don't the seeds have tannin in them? Won't that affect the flavor? I'd be tempted to mash them with a fork to break the skins of the berries before adding them to the secondary.

I put whole blueberries and some blueberry juice into my secondary and the juice turned the wort a deep purple. The berries floated on top but after 10 days of fermenting they looked pretty pale as though the ferment pulled the color right out of them. I'll let you know in about a month if it tastes good. The sample I pulled before adding the priming sugar looked like white zinfandel and had a faint blueberry taste.

so your saying the seeds would only effect the beer if the seeds were "broken". Do you think having whole blackberrys slightly smashed would impart an off flavor??

so your saying the seeds would only effect the beer if the seeds were "broken". Do you think having whole blackberrys slightly smashed would impart an off flavor??

I'm not saying that they will, I'm questioning with the hope that someone else will have the answer.

So I did this last night with a few changes, I added 8 oz. cocoa powder at 15 min remaining in boil then added 3 lbs of raspberries at flameout and let them steep for 15 min. I decided to do a choc. raspberry instead of the blackberry. I hope it turns out well, I am really excited for this one! Thanks for your advice

A little late to the discussion, but I did a blackberry porter a number of years ago that came out great. Just a hint of blackberry flavor so it was not over powering. I just added 2 pints of blackberries to the the last 5 minutes of the boil and did not strain them off. I do not believe I pressed the berries but I do not remember for sure. But I bet I just threw the berries in whole and let the boil break them down some.

Good luck with the chocolate reciepe, let us know how it comes out.

I recall reading something in my original home brew books that said you should avoid boiling any sort of fruit due to the pectin enzymes...anyone else recall this?

BTW, how did it turn out? I've been looking for this sort of recipe myself...

Haven't looked at the recipe but I'll add something I read last year when I was looking to brew sonething similar. I was told that if you freeze the berries first it will help the skins to break up in the boil.

I'm not saying that they will, I'm questioning with the hope that someone else will have the answer.
Ive done a wild berry lambic, and mash black, blue and raspberries with a blender. Seeds dont affect flavor profile after the lactose is added. Triple ferment helps avoid any floating seeds

I looked up the ingredients for this because I am very interested in trying it. However as far as I can tell the Mountmellick Famous Irish Stout Extract is no longer available anywhere.

Anyone know where to get it? Or know of a proper substitute?

I looked up the ingredients for this because I am very interested in trying it. However as far as I can tell the Mountmellick Famous Irish Stout Extract is no longer available anywhere.

Anyone know where to get it? Or know of a proper substitute?

The Irish stout I have bottle carbing right now used Miallard Malt Dark. The 6lb with steeping grains put me at just over 4% abv.

Latest posts

Back