Comet Hopsi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
Is anyone growing this variety? It’s said to be “Citra’s little sister”. I am setting up a new trellis and am thinking about planting these.

If you think Comet will bring any of the aromas and flavours from Citra, you are wrong. But it's definitely a great hops: the description of the hop is pretty spot on: "wild American," grassy and grapefruit. Works great with Eureka!, Chinook, Simcoe and something fruitty. Dank.

Interesting, I am setting up a new trellis and want to grow different hops than on my previous setup. I would like to grow something that is close to the propriety tropical/citrusy hops. Although I may not be able to at this point in time.

Is anyone growing this variety? It’s said to be “Citra’s little sister”. I am setting up a new trellis and am thinking about planting these.

I like Comet a lot and I do think it is close to Citra. The main difference between comet and citra is in it's cohumulone level. Comet's is a lot higher - so it has a harsher bitterness to it. So, I mainly use it post boil- in hop stands and dry hopping. I think I get more of the fruitier flavors that way, and less of the grassy/dank flavors others described.

The plant itself grows very well and is pretty productive. I got about a pound and a half last year in just the second year of growing off of two plants. It's a real nice big hop cone, as well, which makes picking them a little easier. I plan on expanding my Comet plants this year and growing 3-4 more plants.
I highly recomend them.

I also really like the hop. I find it's good to round out some hop pairings, but have used it as a single hop as well.

I am planning a brew soon that will be using Comet and Crystal hops with a nice 2 row base malt

I like Comet a lot and I do think it is close to Citra. The main difference between comet and citra is in it's cohumulone level. Comet's is a lot higher - so it has a harsher bitterness to it. So, I mainly use it post boil- in hop stands and dry hopping. I think I get more of the fruitier flavors that way, and less of the grassy/dank flavors others described.

The plant itself grows very well and is pretty productive. I got about a pound and a half last year in just the second year of growing off of two plants. It's a real nice big hop cone, as well, which makes picking them a little easier. I plan on expanding my Comet plants this year and growing 3-4 more plants.
I highly recomend them.
I think I will go with 2 Comet, 2 Columbus, and 2 Chinook or Centennial. I already have two Centennial, Newport, and Galena that I will probably rip out after this year. I planted these when a first started brewing without knowing what flavor these hops produced and really in a bad location. This go around I want to do it right.

I’m growing Comet, after searching for rhizomes for a few years! I got a few ounces last year. I’ve used the hop a number of times, and wouldn’t say it’s anything like Citra. At its best it’s pure grapefruit zest. At its worst, I get pretty strong solvent/epoxy aromas from it.

I’m growing Comet, after searching for rhizomes for a few years! I got a few ounces last year. I’ve used the hop a number of times, and wouldn’t say it’s anything like Citra. At its best it’s pure grapefruit zest. At its worst, I get pretty strong solvent/epoxy aromas from it.
Thanks for the tip! I am definitely looking for those who have experience growing and brewing with them. If I can get grapefruit out of some homegrown hops that would be great. Great Lakes Hops has some interesting local hops that looked promising but they are sold out.

I get a lot of grassy and green flavors from mine which is either due to variety, too early on harvest, or not enough drying time. In a few years the patent may be out on Simcoe (fingers crossed)

Comet, Columbus and Chinook would definitely make a very intersting/great beer. I like Chinook a lot and Columbus in smaller amounts. I don't think Centennial would pair as good with Comet as Chinook and/or Columbus.

I’m growing Comet.... At its best it’s pure grapefruit zest. At its worst, I get pretty strong solvent/epoxy aromas from it.

You might want to play and see what different yeast do to it. Fermentis T-58 turned the grapefruit of Chinook into a more subdued lime, so heading in a somewhat more Citra-y direction.

So how did your comet hops turn out? I assume you've picked them by now... Have you brewed with them yet?

@marc_ They did really well, I got about 1.3 dry oz of hops from them. Very happy with all of the hops except for the Centennial, which I can’t seem to grow at my house. I will be brewing a home grown ale with all of my new hops. I doubt I will be able to pick up on the Comets contribution, but we’ll see.
EBE96D5E-5F9E-4D4F-9324-A0F3C52ACBF1.jpeg

Edit: next year my weed control will be better

First year Comet in north Texas, near Fort Worth, zone 7b/8a, 32 latitude. It's all about getting the rhizome established the first year. My Cascade, which was producing, got drowned in the great rains of 2015. These Comet are in a slightly raised hugelkultur bed.

Attachments

• Hops 1.jpg
    Hops 1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 92
  • Hops 2.jpg
    Hops 2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 104
I thought mine were lacking nitrogen due to them being light green, but they were alright, just the variety I guess. I didn’t add any more nitrogen than I normal.

I noticed the light green, but am not too concerned right now. There's a vitex growing behind this garden that's turning a little yellow. It has gotten cold yet, but it is October.

I didn’t mean for that to come off as saying there was something wrong with them. I just noticed that mine grew a lighter green compared to the other varieties. My hunch is that it is just the variety and not something that one should worry about when growing Comets.

Reading the descrition about comet hops from greatlakehops, it mentions that they"re a lighter color than other hops.

They're a cross of "sunshine" hops which is supposedly an ornamental light colored hop.

And, I'd love to be able to order from greatlakehops, but I'm in Canada so tracking down certain varieties can be challenging.

Ahh I missed that in the description haha.

Best of luck to ya with the hops, I am sure someone on here will be able to help you source some.

Something snipped off Hops 1 at the ground. Since I didn't trim any this being the first year for these, the largest secondary bine has taken over the lead nicely.

So who has brewed with homegrown comet hops?

Any thoughts in comparison to other varieties?

I used comet in a couple saisons this year and really liked it. I purchased online from a grower in my region. The grapefruit comes through, but it's not over the top. I can't speak to the "wild American" traits everyone talks about, but it has a character that I really like.

Both times I used it, I did two late additions: 15 minutes and last 5 minutes. I did 1 ounce for each addition in the first comet saison (2oz total), and 1.5 ounces each in the second saison (3oz total). That's for a 5.5 gallon batch at about 6.2% abv. I like the 2oz version the best, as the hop and saison yeast character were in balance. The 3oz version was good too, but the hops began to take over.

Back