Combo Charcoal/Propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm finally moving to an apartment that will allow me to have a BBQ on my balcony, and I've been looking at getting a combo charcoal/propane.

I would appreciate any advice and opinions regarding these, and any model recommendations.

Cheers.

I bought myself the Home Despite $200 Brinkman almost 2 years ago and it works nicely. Took me a while to get it assembled, and burns through a propane tank rapidly (I do not understand why they made such huge vents and chimneys on the propane part only to offset it with a high pressure regulator. I have heard that Brinkmans have rust problems, but as I bought a cover and keep mine under the deck I have not noticed any problems. Just my 2 cents on that one.

I hope you find one that works for you. Just remember that the combo units are rather big. Though it is nice to be able to have the taste of charcoal and the ease of propane when cooking for one.

Be sure and check on apartment regulations as to using propane gas. Allot of apartments here has restricted the use of propane gas on property. The Brinkman is a little high priced but a good smoker but as you say it uses a great deal of gas. Thats because of the thin metal. Yes, a cover sure makes a difference on the life of anything.

Good Smoking

Be sure and check on apartment regulations as to using propane gas. Allot of apartments here has restricted the use of propane gas on property. The Brinkman is a little high priced but a good smoker but as you say it uses a great deal of gas. Thats because of the thin metal. Yes, a cover sure makes a difference on the life of anything.

Good Smoking

Weirdly enough, I dont think the gas consumption is due to the metal, which seems rather hefty. I believe it is by design as they have these two HUGE 2 inch tall vents along the back of the lid as well as two open 2 inch by 4 inch chimny things on the gas side. The Charcoal side only has the chimneys but they have adjustable caps on them for smoking.

I mean look at these vents. Ridiculous.
b3ebee5b-b25d-4a94-bbba-0d738c922c6b_1000.jpg

That's a nice looking grill. I understand what you are saying about the vents. I bought a gas CharBroil grill that has three burners and its the same way. It is a great baking grill but Does NOT grill worth a toot. It doesn't char the meat but only cooks it to a gray color. I Don't use it for grilling but I can bake anthing I want in it and does great.

May want to thing about that if you like your food chared. The char coal side should be ok.

Good Smoking

Back