Combining yeasts (belgian tripel 134+256)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DillBill

Reaction score
Has anyone combined 134 and 256? I'm interested in brewing a triple this weekend, and the local shop only carries dry yeast. From my reading, and a past dubbel, the 256 is a little too clean for what I think I want. I'm wondering if I can double pitch with 134 and get some extra spice.

I would just stick with BE-134 taking into account what I have experienced with these two yeasts. BE-134 will give you the fruity as well as the phenolic aspect in general a nice belgian profile and I find this yeast works really nice with hops as well as other botanicals. Belgian Tripel is a quite hoppy beer. BE-256 could add some interesting fruity esters though. I am sure it would be a good beer combining the two yeast however, if I would be making it I would use only BE-134.

Cheers!

EDIT: If you can get some Mangrove's Jack M31 or M41 dry yeast these two should perform good as well.

I'm no expert, but ISTM that if you use a saison yeast then you're brewing a saison. OTOH maybe that's what you want to do, even if you're calling it a tripel.

EDIT: If you can get some Mangrove's Jack M31 or M41 dry yeast these two should perform good as well.
My suspicion is that M41 is repacked BE-256 and M31 is a 50:50 blend of Belle Saison and BE-256, although I can't prove it (yet).

You can see that M31 is a blend of two different coloured yeast pellets, and the colours are the same as Fermentis and Lallemand yeast; we know that M29 is repacked Belle Saison (pers comm) and that MJ generally use Lallemand where they can, but BE-256 doesn't have a Lallemand equivalent.

I will argue that BE-134 can indeed be used for belgian tripel style beer.

Fermentis says:
"This typical brewer’s yeast strain is recommended for well-attenuated beers, produces fruity, floral and phenolic notes and a dry character. Produces highly refreshing beers."

BJCP says:
"A strong, pale, somewhat spicy Belgian ale with a pleasant rounded malt flavor, firm bitterness, and dry finish. Quite aromatic, with spicy, fruity, and light alcohol notes combining with the supportive clean malt character to produce a surprisingly drinkable beverage considering the high alcohol content."

If it can be used for a saison I see no reason why would could not use it for a belgian tripel. If the yeast gives proper characteristics it's good to use no matter what it's called or whatever.

You could go with Lallemand's abbaye dry yeast as well.

Both BE-134 and BE-256 are saison yeasts AFAIAC.

Also, I've blended BE-256 with Belle before and enjoyed the result very much.

I've never used BE-134 or the M31 or M41 yet but eventually will.

Both BE-134 and BE-256 are saison yeasts AFAIAC.
Nah, somewhere I've posted a slide from a Fermentis presentation which has BE-256 in the middle of the English group on the "Gallone" dendrogram, which suggests it's a similar story to the Rochefort/WLP540 thing.

Back