Combining Primary and Secondary Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
There are double IPA recipes out there, Heady Topper, Pliny, that call for a primary dry hop and secondary dry hop. I want to do a 10 gallon batch but don't have enough carboys to hop in secondary. Therefore I would dry hop all at once last week or so before bottling.
What would the disadvantage of this be?

You will get a truckload of hops in the bottom of the fermenter! I tried this once with a Heady clone and when it was time to transfer the spigot would not allow liquid to flow. I opened the top and siphoned the beer to transfer. There were 3 inches of hop sludge at the bottom. Any way the beer turned out great.

You could use hop sacks and limit the trub. I haven't brewed the beers you listed but can't foresee any problems with the dry hop schedule. We're you supposed to remove the first addition before adding the second? That may be a slight cause of flavor change. Kyle

The flavors may be slightly different, particularly if you are supposed to remove the old dry hop first, beyond that there's no harm in it. For my IPA I double hop with two different types at once, it always turns out great.

You could use hop sacks and limit the trub. I haven't brewed the beers you listed but can't foresee any problems with the dry hop schedule. We're you supposed to remove the first addition before adding the second? That may be a slight cause of flavor change. Kyle

Yes the recipe calls to get the beer off the first dry hop and transfer over to another fermenter and dry hop it. I'm just going to combine the 2.

Cheektavegas - nice. Lets go Buffalo!!!vv:mug:

Back