Color change in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2112

Reaction score
I am sure that the reason I am puzzled by the change in the color is simply that I have switched to a glass primary, and actually get to see what is going on in there, but...

About 24 hrs into the primary, my braggot took off, starting blowing off a lot of CO2 and developed a nice krausen on top. Had a good warm color to the beer, just like when it came out of the kettle. Today, the krausen is gone, but I have a layer of hop residue floating on top, no bid deal, but the color of my beer has gone from a warm deep reddish brown to mustard.

Now, I can see all kinds of goodness moving around in the fermenter, bubbles and solids alike, so I figure that this is just my yeast getting good and stirred up in there, but still, I was not expecting to see such a change in color.

Anyone else used to seeing this happen?

Here are some before and afters

P1250120.JPG

P1260122.JPG

Yeah, alot of yeast and trub in solution. After fermentation when the temp drops so will much of the yeast leaving a darker and transparent appearance to the beer.
mark
Beer Diary...

Ok, it has now had 9 days in the primary, and still the color has not changed one bit. I am starting to wonder about this thing. I am still getting the occasional burp off the blowoff tube, but I would have expected to start to see some change by now.

Anybody else run into something like this?

Ok, it has now had 9 days in the primary, and still the color has not changed one bit. I am starting to wonder about this thing. I am still getting the occasional burp off the blowoff tube, but I would have expected to start to see some change by now.

Anybody else run into something like this?

Yes. It's what fermenting beer looks like.

RDWHAHB!! IT will come around. I recently had a highly hoppped pale ale and it took a long time to clear, it had a green twinge from the hop pellets. But patience paid off, again!!

Back