Coleman extreme 120qt capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
Looking to get one of these for a HLT. I am planning to install a 1500w element and controller to heat up all my water. I am going to use a controller and a timer so when I am ready to brew all my mash and sparge water will be ready to go. Does any one know the actual water capacity of the cooler is it 30 gallons?

I can't answer the volume question. I took a quick look at 30 gallon electric water heaters. They all seem to be 4500 watts, 220v. Since your HLT will need to be 30 to 50 °F hotter than hot tap water, I think you'll be very disappointed with a 1500 watt element.

I can't answer the volume question. I took a quick look at 30 gallon electric water heaters. They all seem to be 4500 watts, 220v. Since your HLT will need to be 30 to 50 °F hotter than hot tap water, I think you'll be very disappointed with a 1500 watt element.

I plan to wire it to a Timmer and start it 4-5 hours before I brew

Gotcha. Well, you are wisebto question the published volume of these coolers. I use a '45 qt' for my mash tun, and it holds just under 10 gallons. If no one gives you a definitive answer, you can get pretty close by measuring and calculating the volume. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Some coolers count the volume of the domed lid, that doesn’t help to hold water / brewing liquor, but will hold cans of beer on top of ice. Total volume not water volume.

Latest posts

Back