Cold Smoking grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
going to try my hand at cold smoking some grain. Maybe couple pounds to start and see where that takes me.
I've read through a bunch of threads but didnt see one with what I wanted to know but will ask anyways...

I plan to smoke them about 45 min cold smoke... is that too long? long enough?
I want to go light at first because i want the hint of smoke, but dont want to smoke the whole batch. This will be for a porter im planning on brewing...

going to try my hand at cold smoking some grain. Maybe couple pounds to start and see where that takes me.
I've read through a bunch of threads but didnt see one with what I wanted to know but will ask anyways...

I plan to smoke them about 45 min cold smoke... is that too long? long enough?
I want to go light at first because i want the hint of smoke, but dont want to smoke the whole batch. This will be for a porter im planning on brewing...
You can cold smoke them 45 minutes.

You should try to smoke your grains the same way everytime. Same time and temp so you can know what you can expect and dial in the smoke by the amount in your grist.

So if you cold smoke with pellets, you can over do it with too much pellets going at the same time. I use a 15 oz bean can that is full of pellets smoking like crazy. Less pellets in the can would result in less smoke. I like lots of smoke. The grain is very smokey.

If you have a Traeger like pellet smoker smoke for two hours on the smoke setting. Don't worry about temp. Under 221F won't hurt the grain's diastatic power. Even if it did clip past that, you are only using a small portion of grain.

I typically do 5 lbs for 2 hours.

I do cold and hot. Using wood and pellet.

Cold is about 100F. Hot can ranges 150 - 400F. The high end is for making smoked brown malt.

I have a thread you should read. I have all the instructions posted there. I'll drop it in here.

We can continue this discussion there if you want... Many people would have the same questions. It's becoming the main thread for making rauch malt.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

thats kinda what I planned on. I have an Amazin Smoker tube... basically a SS mesh container, you light the pellets an it smokes for about 45 min or so... so was going to try that and see how it goes... I plan on unusing hickory, cause thats what I have on hand at the moment...
i can use Marris Otter/ 2 Row / or Munich Malt... not sure leaning toward MM for the smoke...

You can cold smoke them 45 minutes.

You should try to smoke your grains the same way everytime. Same time and temp so you can know what you can expect and dial in the smoke by the amount in your grist.

So if you cold smoke with pellets, you can over do it with too much pellets going at the same time. I use a 15 oz bean can that is full of pellets smoking like crazy. Less pellets in the can would result in less smoke. I like lots of smoke. The grain is very smokey.

If you have a Traeger like pellet smoker smoke for two hours on the smoke setting. Don't worry about temp. Under 221F won't hurt the grain's diastatic power. Even if it did clip past that, you are only using a small portion of grain.

I typically do 5 lbs for 2 hours.

I do cold and hot. Using wood and pellet.

Cold is about 100F. Hot can ranges 150 - 400F. The high end is for making smoked brown malt.

I have a thread you should read. I have all the instructions posted there. I'll drop it in here.

We can continue this discussion there if you want... Many people would have the same questions. It's becoming the main thread for making rauch malt.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

thats kinda what I planned on. I have an Amazin Smoker tube... basically a SS mesh container, you light the pellets an it smokes for about 45 min or so... so was going to try that and see how it goes... I plan on unusing hickory, cause thats what I have on hand at the moment...
i can use Marris Otter/ 2 Row / or Munich Malt... not sure leaning toward MM for the smoke...
Read the instructions in that thread. A brief wetting with distilled water is the most important thing to start. Then finishing dry to under 5% moisture. I use an oven to dry the grain.

I think you'll find some good info there.

Latest posts

Back