Cold Press Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMehr

Reaction score
I have a black IPA finishing up fermentation that I would like to try cold pressing to add some coffee flavor and caffeine. I'm thinking of adding the course ground beans directly into secondary and then filtering when I rack to the keg. But I don't want to introduce any bad guys to my beer through the ground coffee. Is there a sterilization technique anyone knows of for this? Or do I not need to worry for some reason?

TIA

I'd suggest bringing up the results of the cold press to pasteurization temps and hold for 10ish(someone else ought to weigh in here), not sure as I've not done it myself but I would think you won't change the flavour profile much by doing so.

I misread your original post, I was thinking you were going to cold-press the coffee grounds and add the resultant brew to the beer, not add ground coffee directly to secondary. Clearly I need coffee...

Back