Cold Crashing Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an IPA that I dryhopped in the secondary for a week then one week ago, moved into the keezer to cold crash before bottling. I have two questions:

What is the recommended lenght of time to cold crash at about 35-40 degrees?

I know that low temperatures cause CO2 to fall into solution so my concern is that if the carboy is cold crashing for too long, all of the CO2 in the headspace will fall into solution and the beer will no longer have its protective CO2 blanket. Has anyone ever experienced this or have any thoughts?

Thanks!

I cold crash my kegs at somewhere near that temp range for ussually 2-3 days to make sure everything drops out. I've never had an infection before or any problems doing this. At this point your beer should be pretty strong and can fight anything that might get to it. Cold crashing for that long also helps me force carb in a keg...like you said, lower temperatures help absorb co2 for carbonating.

Latest posts

Back