Cold crashing a yeast starter while it is still active?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I have been making starters for a number of my batches and usually like to cold crash them for about 24 hours or so. Then I'll decant off some of the wort.

However, I recently made a starter with a long lagging Wyeast 1214. This put me a little behind schedule for my upcoming brew day. It lagged for a day and is currently still active.

So, is there any problem with cold crashing the yeast starter while it's still active and fermenting? Obviously it will stop the fermenting process, but is it going to shock or affect yeast health at all?

What's your opinion on this? Thanks!

You're fine. You just won't grow as many cells.

Thanks for the reply! I figured that would be the case. I just wasn't sure if the yeast viability would be affected due to the quick cutoff. I'm guessing it should probably be ok.

On the last batch I made, I poured the entire flask into the wort without decanting. The ensuing fermentation was so strong that I ended up with 85% attenuation, from 1.080 to 1.012. This was with Wyeast 1056. It ended up being a very strong beer.

On the last batch I made, I poured the entire flask into the wort without decanting. The ensuing fermentation was so strong that I ended up with 85% attenuation, from 1.080 to 1.012. This was with Wyeast 1056. It ended up being a very strong beer.

Had the same experience with wlp001, which is the blame strain as the 1056. Poured the whole thing in and BAM! Instant ferment. I had almost 80% attenuation too.

Latest posts

Back