Coffee stout advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
If you have crap coffee grounds on hand. Wait. Go out get some great coffee then proceed. I made this mistake and when it was too late I finally realized that I almost ruined my batch by using green mountain chocolate vanilla coffee. I grabbed the wrong bag. Green mountain is horrible..wait no...it's an abomination to the bean family. My only saving grace is that my stout recipe is solid and the coffee shat flavor is fading. You have been informed. End rant.

Green Mountain Coffee comes in cheap bags and it's always stale unless you buy it at the roastery.

I'm sorry you had to find out that way.

Trail said:
Green Mountain Coffee comes in cheap bags and it's always stale unless you buy it at the roastery. I'm sorry you had to find out that way.

I had it in the back from a long time ago..back before I was a man even. Or I knew what good coffee was anyway. Unfortunately the the organic bat poop coffee or something expensive was in a similar bag. It was a sad day.

Green mountain is awesome... when you're staying in Vermont. Spend a night at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, and you'll love some Green Mountain coffee in the morning.

Then again, after that night, I'm pretty sure even Folgers diluted with Maxwells would taste great as long as it had some caffeine.

Well, anyways, since this is a rant thread, I'll just keep yapping.

Whats the deal with people who like cheap coffee? I mean, have they never had a good cup of coffee? For me, it seems like the first time I had a cup that made me say, "Oh damn, this is amazing coffee," I never thought twice about buying good coffee.

People. Can't live with them, can't kill them.

I have found when faced with a generic or subpar coffee for use in a brew, that cold extracted coffee will be a great improvement over hot brewed even if it is crappy coffee to begin with.

Cathedral said:
Green mountain is awesome... when you're staying in Vermont. Spend a night at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, and you'll love some Green Mountain coffee in the morning. Then again, after that night, I'm pretty sure even Folgers diluted with Maxwells would taste great as long as it had some caffeine. Well, anyways, since this is a rant thread, I'll just keep yapping. Whats the deal with people who like cheap coffee? I mean, have they never had a good cup of coffee? For me, it seems like the first time I had a cup that made me say, "Oh damn, this is amazing coffee," I never thought twice about buying good coffee. People. Can't live with them, can't kill them.

I'm sure right out the beanery it tastes much better or Maybe I don't like green mountain. The best coffee I have ever had comes from boston in the north end at a place called Polaris. I swear the baby Jesus himself blessed it with his big toe it was so good.

Locksmith said:
I have found when faced with a generic or subpar coffee for use in a brew, that cold extracted coffee will be a great improvement over hot brewed even if it is crappy coffee to begin with.

I did a cold press with the mighty shat tastic green mountain. I think it would have tasted better if it wasn't flavored.

I'm intrigued...never thought about it. I should look into this.

I've not done it, but I've definitely thought about it. Morebeer.com sells kits for it, and I've had nothing but good experience with Morebeer. So, of course, if they sell kits for it, it's something you can probably wing up with some spare parts.

From what I've read, if you want the best flavor, you have to brew the coffee within three days of roasting. That automatically excludes 99.999% of anything you can buy in the store.

Green Mountain is consistently stale from either of the organic co-ops I shop at, and I live in Burlington (30 minutes away from the roastery.) It's packed in thin paper bags that let a lot of light through, in a plastic, highly permeable inner liner, which isn't even sealed (it is closed with a plastic clip, the way supermarket bread is.)

A guy I know in the industry says their packaging costs less than five cents per unit of coffee. The coffee I buy from this guy comes in reflective aluminum-plastic laminate bags, with a one way breather valve. The bags cost fifty cents apiece. The coffee is delicious. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if the small roaster's business will be around in a year.

Back