Coffee beans in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickprice407

Reaction score
My son in law and I are planning a Chocolate Stout and a Rye Stout and were contemplating adding coffee or expresso to the secondary. Being our first try at this, we have a few question to ask those who have tried and succeeded in this.

First - whole beans or ground? And how much for a 5 gal batch?

Second - How do you sanitize them? Do you boil them and add the water and beans to the secondary and then siphon the been in on top of it?

Third - any suggestions on whether dark roast coffee or expresso would be best? Suggestions on actual commercial coffees we can order would be helpful too.

Any help or experiences would be a big help here. May be brewing these in a week or less and then in the secondary 2 weeks later. That way we can have them around Christmas.

Thanks,

Rick near Atlanta

Get the best espresso beans you can find from your local coffee roaster. I add 1/4 pound of coarse grind after 2 weeks of primary fermentation, leave on the grounds for another 2 weeks then cold crash. No need to worry about sanitizing as alcohol is present.

The quality of the ingredients you choose will make all the difference.

Cheers.

Grind you beens, the cold roast them. Cold Brew them. Ater that just use a base to "buitld" your own ferw.

Grind you beens, the cold roast them. Cold Brew them. Ater that just use a base to "buitld" your own ferw.

I agree, WAT? Don't know what happend last night w/my typing. No I was not drinking :tank:

Anyway what I was trying to say was grind the beans, cold brew them and then add to the bottling bucket to taste. Then bottle.

Latest posts

Back