Coconut sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kimble

Reaction score
Team,
I have gleaned great advise by picking through the forms with regards adding coconut to a lager I'm making. I'm doing an addition during the boil but also a dry edition in a hop bag during fermentation. The only piece I'm not clear on: is it okay to dip the entire bag with coconut inside in starsan before throwing it in? Or should I sanitize the bag itself with starsan and then put the toasted coconut into the bag and then put it in the fermenter?
As always thank you for your help.

Just sanitize the bag.
Your toasted coconut should be pretty much pasteurized due to the heat from toasting. The alcohol in the beer will take care of the rest.

Put a handful of glass marbles in the bag to weigh it down enough so it doesn't float to the top. If you suspend it from a string (unflavored dental floss), you can agitate it once or twice a day during the steeping/extraction process, similar to dry hops in a bag. It helps to disperse the flavor throughout the beer and fills the bag with fresh beer to take on more each time you move it.

These things are typically added when active fermentation is over or nearly over (exceptions noted). This to prevent aromas being driven off during the heavy CO2 production.

Back