Cocoa powder & fat content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robqualls

Reaction score
Ok, my milk stout is stuck at 1030 with an og of 1061. I put a cup of cocoa powder with 15 mins left in the boil. It has been stuck at 1030 for a week. I'm starting to think the 8 grams of fat total is throwing off the gravity readings. i tried the beer, and it doesn't drink like it is overly sweet. It drinks like it has a gravity of around 1015 or so. which is where it is suppose to be. Any ideas?

Were you measuring FG with a refractometer?
They aren't accurate after fermentation begins.

Cocoa shouldn't change the gravity.

That's odd, I would have thought it didn't finish if that's the case but if it isn't too sweet it sounds like something might be wrong with the hydrometer?
To the best of my knowledge and experience 1 cup of cocoa would not increase the FG at all, really.

Maybe borrow another hydrometer and if it is still 1.03 perhaps you should repitch?

I'll do that. I actually have a second hydrometer that i just realized was sitting in my basement. So thanks for making me remember that! I'm brewing again this weekend, so i'll get another yeast just in case while i'm at the store. I'll take the hydro reading tomorrow and let you know. I really thought i had this "ah ha!" moment when i saw the fat content. ::sigh:: well, it could be the hydrometer...so no ::sigh:: yet i suppose, thanks for your help!

No problem, let me know how it goes.

As a side note I jut brewed a beer with a cup of cocoa and my beer has no more head :(

OK I did used my hydrometer to cross check and make sure it is working correctly and it is. I pitched another packet of us-04. I did use a starter. I'm wondering if k shouldn't have. I did some research and it seems people are split on starters and dry yeast. How long does it take for fermentation to restart after repitching? Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. Oh I did use Hershey's powder.

Latest posts

Back