CO2 tank question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
Here is something that I saw online (we all know everything online is true)....but it was apparently presented at an NHC....anyone have thoughts?

"Do not place your kegerator in your basement. A catastrophic failure could cause the tank to drain, flooding your basement with CO2. Tom also recommended the use of a CO2 Alarm. He said he got his at Amazon. He, rightly, mentions that these are difficult to find and a bit on the expensive side. Carbon Monoxide alarms abound, CO2 alarms are more rare. In fact if you search for “CO2 Alarm” on Amazon, the site believes you’ve mistyped and instead shows you Carbon Monoxide Alarms. This altered search helps a bit, specifically excluding the term monoxide. It seems some units only report CO2 levels without issuing an alarm. Here are a couple of models that have alarms: Indoor Air Quality Meter and Supco IAQ50 Wall Mounted Indoor Air Quality Monitor. As for me… my kegerator is in… my basement and I have a… 20 lb CO2 tank. At this point, I’m not planning to move it. I am, however, going to get a CO2 alarm in short order."

The theory is that the release of co2 could make your enclosed space into a toxic situation. Co2 being heavier than sir could build up and cause a lack of o2. This is the very reason there are Confined Space Entry Proceedures in construction. I think this could be a problem is you have a HUGE co2tank or a tiny, well sealed basement. The theory is sound.

1 pound of liquid CO2 yields 8.7 cf of gas at 14.7 psi (1 atm).
20 pounds of liquid CO2 will thus yield 20 * 8.7 = 174 cf of gas.

A room 12x12x8 = 1152 cf

If a full 20# cylinder empties in that room, there will be a maximum of 174/1152 = 15% CO2 in that room, the remainder 85% consisting of air. O2 level would then be 85% of 21% = 18%.

I don't think that's dangerous.

1 pound of liquid CO2 yields 8.7 cf of gas at 14.7 psi (1 atm).
20 pounds of liquid CO2 will thus yield 20 * 8.7 = 174 cf of gas.

A room 12x12x8 = 1152 cf

If a full 20# cylinder empties in that room, there will be a maximum of 174/1152 = 15% CO2 in that room, the remainder 85% consisting of air. O2 level would then be 85% of 21% = 18%.

I don't think that's dangerous.

Almost.

First, gas diffusion does not allow CO2 to "settle" into low places unless the rate of production exceeds the rate of removal, and unless your basement has zero airflow, this is unlikely.

Your nose will also burn before CO2 becomes toxic as a asphyxiant which happens at about 100,000 ppm or 10%

In lizard's example above, a 20lb tank released into a 12x12x8 ft basement with zero air flow would result in 15% by volume CO2 which is indeed toxic. However, since there is likely some airflow and gas diffusion will cause the CO2 to dissipate over time, the real danger is actually being IN the room during a catastrophic failure of a tank.

If your CO2 tank asplodes you got bigger problems my friend.

No matter how many times I try to sniff the airlock in my chest freezer, I never learn.

One time, I had a pretty big mess at the bottom of it and had to reach down in it to mop it all up. It was basically a game of see if you realize your gonna pass out before it just...happens. SWMBO coulve easily came round the corner to this:
5882509261_b873231fb9_b.jpg

Phoenix fire department had a big CO2 leak incident a few years ago. A dewar of co2 leaked in the basement of a McDonalds. They responded to a 911 call for one of the employees. When they came out of the basement they felt normal for a bit and then started to pass out. I don't know how much leaked and if your 20# cylinder is a danger to yourself or your family. But I know that [O2] less than 18.5% is considered oxygen deficient and requires the use of a supplied air or SCBA type respirator.

No matter how many times I try to sniff the airlock in my chest freezer, I never learn.

One time, I had a pretty big mess at the bottom of it and had to reach down in it to mop it all up. It was basically a game of see if you realize your gonna pass out before it just...happens. SWMBO coulve easily came round the corner to this:
5882509261_b873231fb9_b.jpg

Usually the intense burning in my nose and the coughing alerts me to remove my head

Back