co2 regulator options (for a chest freezer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently scored a chest freezer that my parents decided to get rid of (it's about 9cu/ft and will hold 6 kegs plus a 5/10 lb co2 bottle.

I was wondering what the best/most practical way was for the gas distribution. I plan on having a soda keg, as well as 3 taps for beer. I also want to be able to force carb. Everything (tank, regulator, etc.) will be inside the freezer.

I was kicking around a few ideas. One would be a 3-way primary with wye's on each (thus allowing me to run 6 lines with 3 different pressures). Another was a single primary with a wye, and a 3 way secondary with wye's (allowing me 4 pressures and 7 lines). Finally, I was kicking around the idea of just a 2-way regulator with a 2 and 4 block distribution manifold (much like Quaffer's HERE).

However, practically I want to try to stay as economical as possible, as well as not getting too complicated. I was wondering to those with 3+ tap conversions, how many different pressures you run on a regular basis? How many lines do you wish you had? How many different pressure lines do you wish you had?

Secondly, any recommendation on regulators? I was thinking the Chudnow's from Kegconnection, but being my first dive into kegging, I wasn't sure if there was a clear best and worst brand/company to get regulators from.

Anyways, thats all... for now. :D

Cheaper option would be one regulator off the tank set at soda pressure with a Y. A second regulator stepping down the pressure for the 3 beer kegs (using a 3-way manifold). Could put a Y off the tank regulator to have a higher pressure line for force carbonating but could also just do the set-it-and-forget-it method and be done with it...

Watch the classifieds here - It's pretty often people offload manifolds, primary and secondary regulators.
Otherwise ChiCompany has great deals. You can get a primary for $25 and secondaries are pretty cheap too. Used of course.

Right now I run a dual body primary with manifolds on each - I get force carbing pressure (If I want it) on one manifold, and serving pressure on the other. Make them both 4-way manifolds, and use MFL fittings instead of hose barbs and you can hook 4 hoses around on 8 ports at 2 pressures for whatever you need to do at the time. It works great!

Back