CO2 getting into beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faithie999

Reaction score
I've read that a main cause of excessive foaming is CO2 entering the beer line.

which of these 3 o-rings are likely the culprit:

1) at the top of the beer out post
2) on the poppet inside the post
3) between the lip of the dip tube and the top of the keg

I assume it's #1.

my beer line sizing is correct. I've been using the kegerator for years and one keg has started acting up. others are fine.

ken

If you have headspace CO2 getting into the beer line, it would have to go through #3, then through the post, then out the poppet to post interface (#2). So the culprit would be O-ring #3.

I'm not sure what you mean by "at the top of the beer out post." But if you mean CO2 moving up the outside of the post, that wouldn't happen. And if post O-ring (#1) was bad, you'd have beer on the floor.

Agreed, especially for "spitting foam", #3 is the culprit.
A bad poppet seal (#2) is only ever a problem when a QD isn't plug on and it leaks out. It won't cause foaming.
A bad post O-ring (#1) is only a problem when a QD is plugged on and it leaks out. It won't cause foaming.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if I'm reading your problem correctly and/or if problem was similar to yours, but I had a keg that would always pour foamy. The keg's dip tube would also spin as I tightened the post. After some experimenting, I found that if I put two O-rings on the dip tube, it would stop the foaming. It would still spin, but no more foam. I found that the detents on the beer out were worn so it didn't keep the dip tube in place. Not exactly fixable - I tried. It is pretty cool seeing what a 7.62 x 39 does to a corny keg though.

So I think it would be 1, 3, 2. In that order of probability... for me anyway. (assuming that 1 & 3 are basically the same place, but different sides of the O-ring)

thanks for the replies. I can live with this till the keg is empty then I will replace #3.

thanks for the replies. I can live with this till the keg is empty then I will replace #3.

Keg O-rings are dirt cheap online, from places that are not homebrew stores. I use oringsandmore for the most part. I replace the post and dip tub rings with every keg fill.

For the condition you describe, #3 is the LIKELY culprit but I've seen it happen with a pinhole in the weld of the diptube up high in the headspace. If the original poppet spring was ever replaced with a universal variety, I've also seen it get coiled around the diptube to break the seal.

Back