CO2 Check Valve Problem? Halp!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
Background: I recently moved and have a problem with my first kegged batch. I had a 10 lb CO2 cylinder syphon filled at my new HBS. Filled my first keg and hooked it up.

Problem: Whenever I try to apply CO2, the check valves on my regulators go nuts releasing lots of pressure! Both of them! Both gauges bury the needle!

Question: Does this mean the CO2 tank was over filled? The HBS guy said it was 6 lbs (by weight) in a 10 lb cylinder. He also did not instill me with confidence in his abilities. Something else I’m missing?

Last edited:
The pressure of CO2 is dependent on temperature, as most gasses are. I would crank the regulator(s) down to the lowest setting(s) and start from there. If your PRVs blow off there you have a regulator problem. Every PRV I've ever seen is on the low side.

Generally, low pressure gauges going full scale when the cylinder is opened is indicative of blown/breached diaphragms.

Can we get a description of the regulator(s) setup? Is this a dual-primary regulator set?
If there are two regulators, if they're both set to zero PSI, then one of them turned up, which gauges are affected?
It's unfathomable how the low pressure gauge on one regulator would be affected by the other regulator...

Cheers!

First, a 10# cylinder should be filled with 10# of CO2 by weight.

Have you used this exact cylinder before? If not, it could be that the cylinder has a dip tube, which you do not want.

Thanks guys. After playing with the dual gauge setup, it looks like it’s a bad pressure release valve. If I prevent it from expelling gas, all works properly. Turns out, its hard to buy just the valve. Guess I’ll have to upgrade!

Back