CO2 build up bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotToddy55

Biker...Brewer...Fun Grandpa!
Reaction score
I saw a video on youtube about just setting bottle caps on your bottles, and when you are done bottling 5 gal. worth, then crimp them on, thus having a little C02 pushing out oxygen first. Does this really work you think? I would think it would in essence make a flatter beer with CO2 coming out before bottling.

I'm sure you get a well carbonated beer. Does it actually help push out the oxygen? I don't know. I'm a little skeptical to tell you the truth, but I can't honestly say.

I can say that I've always sealed my bottles as soon as they were filled. I've never had oxygenation problems. Some of my beers are now several years old and taste just as fresh as the day I first drank them.

My initial thought is that this is one of "those" suggestions. This amount of time would hardly be enough to generate any significant CO2. But then again I am a bit opinionated, especially when it comes to anything on Youtube.

This is what I do as standard..... Does everyone else cap each bottle as they go?
Unless I have SWMBO running the show, then she caps as I fill

I had thought of leaving the bottles for a while to purge the necks but decided it wasnt worth the risk.

Yeah, I feel the same way on bottling day. I really doubt any significant amount of Co2 is produced in the short time between priming the beer & capping the bottles. I fill about a dozen bottles, dunk the caps in starsan & place them over the top as I go. After filling said dozen, I run'em all through the bench capper. I've been using o2 barrier caps for some time now. The biggest effect I seem to have gotten from using them is longevity of hop aromas & flavors. Like maybe a couple more weeks before they begin to degrade. I just bought some of those colored regular caps to use On the next few batches to test this between using the old wing capper & the new bench capper.

I cap as I go and don't think its significant (especially if your filling nearly to the top and drinking your beer pretty quickly without aging for very long). But, I usually have help: wife fills and I cap.

But with that said: the idea is not that CO2 will be produce at that moment and push the O2 out. It's that previously produced CO2 will come out of solution after transferring to the bottle that pushes the O2 out(you can usually see these CO2 bubbles after transferring).

I doubt that enough CO2 is coming out of solution at that point to make a difference - once disturbed for gravity testing, then moving it to the area you'll be bottling in, then racking to bottling bucket, I can't imagine there's a lot that will still be there.
Personally I toss the caps in sanitizer as I begin, then I'll fill a half-dozen or so bottles, then cap (put the cap on and crimp.) Hvaen't had anything I can relate to oxidation or infection during that time yet. I do usually have extra foam from sanitizing and I do try to cap on foam when possible, but not always happens.

Back