CO2 and Nitro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ05

Reaction score
I’m experimenting with nitrogen to “carbonate” regular (NO Guinness, Stout etc.) beers. I understand, nitrogen do not “carbonate”, so after kegging I’m planing to use CO2 and after 48 hrs. switch to N2 (100%, not “beergas”) to dispense. Should I start with N2?
What is your experience? Do you see any advantages / disadvantages to this method?

As you said, you're not going to carbonate anything with straight Nitrogen.

Are you going to be dispensing through an actual stout faucet? If so, carbing a keg to a modest carbonation level (like 1.5 volumes or lower) then dispensing through a stout faucet with straight nitro will work for a time.

As the keg is dispensed, however, the beer will slowly flatten, so you may have to periodically relieve the head space pressure then hit it with a charge of CO2 to bring the carbonation back up.

Otoh....if you will be dispensing through a standard faucet, I don't see a point...

Cheers!

You can serve many beers on a nitrogen tap. Listen to the above advice. If you don't get a stout faucet you're not going to get the same effect. Beer gas is the mixture it is so that you can push 30 psi through a stout faucet yet not over-carbonate your beer. The way you want to do it, you'll just have a CO2 tank to carbonate and a N2 tank to push beer. It'll come out of a regular faucet like any other beer except that it will get flat over time then you'll have to swap back to CO2 and wait days to carbonate again.

Back