CO2 and Beer gas in hot Texas garage in summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geepmaley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have four taps on my kegerator with a 20lb CO2 tank full of beer gas and a 5# CO2 tanks of CO2 inside with 4 kegs. I got another 20Lb CO2 tank and was thinking of putting both CO2 and N2/C02 outside the fridge, there is room in the kegerator for 6 kegs if I do this, and but the kegerator is in and uninsulated brick sided garage in North Texas (Dallas area) where ambient outside temps get up past 100F for months. Garage temp has not been measured directly, but I would guess it closer to 110F - 115F in the summer during the day, maybe higher.

I have read mixed info on having CO2 tanks stored outside a full sized kegerator when temp are above 100F. BUt I havent seen anythign about beer gas?

My beer gas is in a CO2 tank, not a nitro tank.

Both tanks are rated for 1800PSI

You should not put the Co2 tank in the heat if there is co2 inside.

the recommended temp to store a co2 tank full of co2 is around 70* F. There are many stories on forums about how someone left a co2 tank in the heat and lost all the co2. even on paintball forums you hear of this. Thats why i said not to keep it in the heat.

Maybe the tank was faulty. I don't buy it. I'm in Texas too and the tanks set outside welding shops all day in the sun with no problems. I have 2 20lbs and a 5 lb that sit in my garage all the time with no change in pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maybe the tank was faulty. I don't buy it. I'm in Texas too and the tanks set outside welding shops all day in the sun with no problems. I have 2 20lbs and a 5 lb that sit in my garage all the time with no change in pressure.

Umm....Not in this particular Reality.

co2pv.gif

I believe burst disks on CO2 tanks are rated for 3000 psi, but potential liability issues likely means that they're tuned so 3000 psi is the highest pressure they'll see before letting go (to like six sigma samples even). Indeed, looking at this chart there's a line that shows "Minimum Blow Out" at 2200 psi.

The chart indicates a tank at 100% fill at 110°F would see an internal pressure around 1700 psi, and around 1950 psi at 120°F. The data points at 100% fill on the various curves are roughly 200 psi apart once they get into the 100+ degree range, so if we extrapolate, 130°F would provide 2150 psi, and 140°F would hit around 2350 psi. Potentially major boomage.

Are those temperatures achievable in Real Life? You betcha...

Cheers!

So does this mean if the tank is not full the pressure will be lower and less chance of rupture at higher temps? Not sure how to read the x-axis

Also does anyone have similar curves for 75/25 N2/CO2 blend beer gas?

So does this mean if the tank is not full the pressure will be lower and less chance of rupture at higher temps? Not sure how to read the x-axis[...]

Yes. Looking at the 120°F curve, for instance, as previously related 100% fill would provide around 1950 psi. But looking back where the 80% fill line intercepts the same 120°F curve, the pressure would be only ~1600 psi. So the fill percentage effect is clearly significant...

Cheers!

To correct myself, I know the pressure changes with temperature changes but I've never had a problem with a burst disc blowing off or heard of anyone having that problem. I'm no scientists.

Umm....Not in this particular Reality.

co2pv.gif

I believe burst disks on CO2 tanks are rated for 3000 psi, but potential liability issues likely means that they're tuned so 3000 psi is the highest pressure they'll see before letting go (to like six sigma samples even). Indeed, looking at this chart there's a line that shows "Minimum Blow Out" at 2200 psi.

The chart indicates a tank at 100% fill at 110°F would see an internal pressure around 1700 psi, and around 1950 psi at 120°F. The data points at 100% fill on the various curves are roughly 200 psi apart once they get into the 100+ degree range, so if we extrapolate, 130°F would provide 2150 psi, and 140°F would hit around 2350 psi. Potentially major boomage.

Are those temperatures achievable in Real Life? You betcha...

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the recommended temp to store a co2 tank full of co2 is around 70* F. There are many stories on forums about how someone left a co2 tank in the heat and lost all the co2. even on paintball forums you hear of this. Thats why i said not to keep it in the heat.

Thanks for the info, as I was not aware of it!.......:mug:

I usually have 10 or so 20lb aluminum tanks in my shop, which is not cooled/heated and they have all been fine for many a Texas summer. Definitely do not leave them in a hot car in the sun, but other then that, they should be fine. Look at the gas delivery trucks, some of those tanks sit on the truck all day in the Texas sun and do not have issues. Is it optimal, probably not, but it is highly unlikely to cause any issue, and at worst case the pressure relief valve would pop and you would lose your co2.

Back