CO2 absorption time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I'm asking considering that I am kegging and force carbing, not that that should make a difference... Does temperature impact the RATE of CO2 absorption? I know that the CO2 absorbs better into a colder liquid resulting in a lower psi been required for X vols of CO2. However, does temperature impact the rate of absorption of CO2 or is the process linear at any (reasonable) temperatures and two to three weeks will result in a similar percentage to equilibrium of the head and liquid at say 2C or 10C? I've got my kegs set at 10C for serving and I'm planning on waiting two weeks before drinking but I'm wondering if a lower temp (and subsequently lower pressure (psi)) will carbonate my keg better. SWMBO has got a keg of her beer which she is pouring now so I don't want to chill it down if it's not necessary.

There are pros and cons to what I am going to tell you so take this for what it is worth...

Leave the temp alone, because messing with temps is a shadey biz. The volume of liquid takes a LONG time to equalize this is why I say that.

Pull the keg out of the cooler when it is cold, lay it on it's side and gently roll/rock the keg for 10-15 minutes. The idea is not to splash/violently slosh the beer inside. Slow and steady wins. Then put the keg back into the fridge and on gas. Doing this x2 a day for 48hours will carb the beer completely or get you VERY close.

HOWEVER you will have a greater amount of carbonic acid in your beer. This is bitter and causes what is known as "carb bite". Carb bite takes about 3 days (or more) to go away and will do so on it's own. There is no way to speed that up or slow it down, it is gone when it is gone.

I have heard of people having issues with head retention, they think the bubbles are not the right size and all sorts of crazy stories on why "not to roll a keg". I have rolled/rocked almost every keg of beer I have ever made and have NEVER had any issues with anything. YMMV. IMO this is one of the benefits of kegging...

To answer your question: idk:cross: The best thing you can do is play with it until you find the best solution. You can always charge cold at 20-30 psi for 24 hours and then back down to 10-12 until it's ready. I guess that should shave the time in half and still be conservative.

Cold force carbing is better to work with because everything operates at a lower pressure. So there is less risk of leaks. Also you can pull samples without waiting forever for the cup of foam to drop to measure gravity or taste test. Room temp carbing is more practical for people like myself though who don't feel like changing a 5# co2 tank after every 5 kegs. With that said, my new plan is to prime and force carb with a #10 outside the keezer due to space limitations. 3 oz sugar, 1 week later charge to 30 psi, ready to go about day 10-14. We'll see.:mug:

Back