CMC 2-row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogslapbrewery

Reaction score
I've been using Canadian Malting Company 2-Row malt for the last couple years and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same results. While I haven't had any issues in the mashing department its more so the overall flavor and color. Whenever I brew a wheat or hazy style the beer ends up being crystal clear within 1-2 weeks of being in the keg. Even Belgium styles that generally use 40% malted wheat I can't seem to maintain longevity in the haze. Also the body is always clean/slim, not watery though and the mouth feel is fine. It just doesn't have that malty/bready lingering back of the tongue profile. I've picked out this clean crisp profile throughout all my beers while they taste good the overall maltiness just isn't there throughout different styles.

I've been chasing this for a while and tried changing up hops, yeast, specialty malts, mash temp, mash ratios, and mash PH with no success. The only thing I haven't considered yet is the base malt, has anyone experienced a huge impact with overall flavor and appearance between the different brands of brewers malt? If anyone has any other suggestions or feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've been chasing this for a while and tried changing up hops, yeast, specialty malts, mash temp, mash ratios, and mash PH with no success. The only thing I haven't considered yet is the base malt, has anyone experienced a huge impact with overall flavor and appearance between the different brands of brewers malt? If anyone has any other suggestions or feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.

I haven't noticed much difference between different maltsters' 2-row brewers malts, but I haven't used CMC. There's really one way to find out if the CMC malt is causing your issue...brew a batch with a different Maltster's 2-row and compare.

Back