Clueless recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derp

Reaction score
I'm still doing extract brews and they've been turning out rather nicely. I decided to move away from pre-packaged kits and collected a bunch of recipes for some of my favorite beers (Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous, Tim Taylor's Landlord, etc.) that I wanted to try my hand at. I made a list of the steeping grains and submitted them to my LHBS. They filled the order promptly but mixed everything in one bag; I assume they thought I was doing all-grain brews. So I find myself with about 6 pounds of mixed grains and I'm wondering if this Beersmith-assisted recipe will turn out OK. Suggestions for changes will be appreciated. Thanks. (It's clear to me that this/these beers will be somewhat dark due to the Carafa III.)

Please note that these grains are already mixed and I am unable to change the ratio. I can alter the amount, but the percentages will remain fixed unless I develop a technique for sorting grain at the kernel level. ;)

-- Steep Specialty Grains
Amount Item Type
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain

Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 6.75 lb LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract
60 min 1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops
15 min 1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops
1 min 1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops

Amount Item Type
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [Starter 125 ml]

-- Steep Specialty Grains
Amount Item Type
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain
0.17 lb Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain

Not sure I see the problem -
your recipe shows 1 lb of steeping grains (well, except the 2-row) and sufficient LME for a batch of beer. When doing extract, my steeping grains were always mixed together in my muslin bag (cracked/crushed, of course).

Where is the 6 lbs of mixed grains ? How am I missing 5 lbs?

If your recipe is correct- you're good to go.
Steep your 1lb mixed grains at about 155-160 for 20 min, then pull them out, rinse them, and toss them. Bring to a boil, add extract, first addition hops.....

Back