clove flavors in hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
Does anybody actually enjoy this? Do you aim to get this flavor?

I tryed my first hefe this weekend. I really did not enjoy it. Im not flushing it, but i didnt enjoy it. I'll know next time to not use my swamp cooler on a hefe.

I'm not a big fan of clove. I can drink a couple of clovey beers, but don't want 5 gallons of it.

People must like it because some of the highest rated Hefes have plenty of clove.

jrodskreet said:
I'll know next time to not use my swamp cooler on a hefe.

If you don't use a swamp cooler and ferment at a higher temperature, you'll actually get MORE clove and banana like esters...

Just sayin...

My wife likes it. One of her favorite beers is Sin City Brewing's Hefe, which has clove added.

If you don't use a swamp cooler and ferment at a higher temperature, you'll actually get MORE clove and banana like esters...

Just sayin...

From everything I've heard you get clove from fermenting low and banana from fermenting high.

My wife likes it. One of her favorite beers is Sin City Brewing's Hefe, which has clove added.

I really enjoyed this beer too when I was last in Las Vegas...didn't know they actually added cloves though. It is a particularly clove-y example of Hefe...

From everything I've heard you get clove from fermenting low and banana from fermenting high.

My understanding as well...apparently you can also increase clove phenols by doing a rest in the one-teens...supposedly increases the precursor to that flavor compound.

I love the clove, not so keen on banana. Ferment low for cloves, particularly with a rest in the 118-120 range, and high for banana.
To each his own.

Latest posts

Back