Clone Recipe Kits - Do You Buy Them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Buy Clone Kits?

• No I Never Buy Clone Kits

• Yes I Buy Clone Kits

Results are only viewable after voting.

stylus1274

Reaction score
OK so I'm curious to how many brewers actually buy recipe clone kits?

I myself find them interesting but have only purchased 2 clone kits in the 7 years I have been brewing.

Anyways please do the poll and let us know if you actually buy clone kits. Whether that is for learning purposes or to try and actually nail a clone doesn't matter with this poll.

I voted that I never buy them, and I don't. But then, I'm buying all my ingredients so I could, I suppose, just brew the same recipe.

There are a lot of clone recipes out there, not that hard to find them or brew them.

I will say without a doubt the demographic targeted by clone beer kits is a different demographic that spends their time on forums like Homebrewtalk.

That isn't to say there aren't forum posters who do because there is always overlap. We don't all have the same inspirations (or aspirations).

But you will undoubtedly get a negative response here while if you polled other general populations then the response will be higher.

I voted that I never buy them, and I don't. But then, I'm buying all my ingredients so I could, I suppose, just brew the same recipe.

There are a lot of clone recipes out there, not that hard to find them or brew them.

I myself will find clone recipes, add them to Brewsmith and alter to my liking. I bet many people do something similar.

I will say without a doubt the demographic targeted by clone beer kits is a different demographic that spends their time on forums like Homebrewtalk.

That isn't to say there aren't forum posters who do because there is always overlap. We don't all have the same inspirations (or aspirations).

But you will undoubtedly get a negative response here while if you polled other general populations then the response will be higher.

Maybe. Right now just testing the waters.

I'd also add to what you are saying and guess that people new to brewing would be more willing to buy clones than the average experienced brewer.

^This.

I've been brewing for just over 1 1/2 years, i've done 34 batches, 31 all-grain.

I'm a member of a LHBC. When I go to our monthly meetings it seems that I have more experience--and knowledge--of brewing that most who attend. Perhaps in the top 10 percent.

And most of the members are, apparently, unaware of HBT. That shocks me, really shocks me. Some of that is undoubtedly a difference in philosophy. When I started, my first considered action was to look online for resources I could use, and early on I found HBT.

Most of the brewers there are doing extract kits; I don't think more than 20 percent of us are doing all-grain.

Now, I know that I'm a bit unusual in all this. I have something like 18 books on brewing, I'm active here, Brulosophy is one of my favorite sites, and I seek out others who brew to pick their brains. I've come a long way in a relatively short time, but I'm shocked by the lack of interest in learning more than they have.

I'd love to see a real survey of homebrewers to get a good sense of where everybody is. I tend to look at what people do here and I'm amazed by it. But not so much at my LHBC. More's the pity.

^This.

I've been brewing for just over 1 1/2 years, i've done 34 batches, 31 all-grain.

I'm a member of a LHBC. When I go to our monthly meetings it seems that I have more experience--and knowledge--of brewing that most who attend. Perhaps in the top 10 percent.

And most of the members are, apparently, unaware of HBT. That shocks me, really shocks me. Some of that is undoubtedly a difference in philosophy. When I started, my first considered action was to look online for resources I could use, and early on I found HBT.

Most of the brewers there are doing extract kits; I don't think more than 20 percent of us are doing all-grain.

Now, I know that I'm a bit unusual in all this. I have something like 18 books on brewing, I'm active here, Brulosophy is one of my favorite sites, and I seek out others who brew to pick their brains. I've come a long way in a relatively short time, but I'm shocked by the lack of interest in learning more than they have.

I'd love to see a real survey of homebrewers to get a good sense of where everybody is. I tend to look at what people do here and I'm amazed by it. But not so much at my LHBC. More's the pity.

This is great info. I posted this poll because I will be opening a LHBS in a few months.

I will be selling kits so I'm wondering about bothering with clones.

What's interesting about your comment is that you say many of them use kits. That would be good for me if this holds true :)

Anyways thank you for your input.

This is great info. I posted this poll because I will be opening a LHBS in a few months.

I will be selling kits so I'm wondering about bothering with clones.

What's interesting about your comment is that you say many of them use kits. That would be good for me if this holds true :)

Anyways thank you for your input.

Of course, my sample size is small, and I suspect there are pockets of homebrewers in some places that are much more into this than in other places.

Here's my 2 cents on this, from a LHBS perspective: you might sell some starter equipment kits to beginning brewers, but that's often a one-time thing. You need them to keep coming back to the store for consumables--ingredients!

And based on my limited experience--but I've seen this in other areas too, most people aren't that interested in understanding all the nuts and bolts, unlike me--people don't want to know all that stuff. They just want a kit that works well. They won't be buying pH meters, may not even want a refractometer. They just need ingredients.

So kits will be important. Do they have to be clone kits? That probably depends on the market. If you have a local or regional market for a specific beer that's very well received, then a clone kit for that beer probably would make sense. I'm trying to remember what my LHBS owner calls his kits--mostly they're styles, not specific clone brews.

Having a variety of LME and DME would be important for those who want to do a little experimenting. I'd also consider having some Maris Otter extract as well. It's my favorite malt (I do all-grain). My son, who also brews, had struggled to find it in an extract, but he did somewhere. He brewed with that and was hooked.

I'm sure there must be some other extracts like that as well. I'm not well-versed in what's available out there, but it may be worth having some unusual or off-beat ones for those who want to experiment.

Just a couple thoughts. Good luck with the business venture! Give 'em a reason to keep coming back. :)

Every market is going to be a bit different. Obviously NB has had success with cobranding clone kits, and if you can pull it off with breweries in your area, it's a good way to cross promote. I've got a pair of home-brew shops, and we've tried for years to cobrand some "clone" or even "brewmaster's recipe" kits to try and cross promote, but generally the idea is well received and either fails because a big brewery pushes it up the chain only to have someone nix the idea for whatever reason, or a small brewery just doesn't have the time to care/do it. I would recommend working on having good, style specific kits and a collection of good clone recipe's on hand for people looking for that. The 250 classic cone magazine is good to have on hand for that.

So kits will be important. Do they have to be clone kits? That probably depends on the market. If you have a local or regional market for a specific beer that's very well received, then a clone kit for that beer probably would make sense. I'm trying to remember what my LHBS owner calls his kits--mostly they're styles, not specific clone brews.

After this poll I am ruling out clones for the most part. Cigar City Brewery is located here and I may offer a few of their clones. It's a very popular local brewery.

But at the moment that is up in the air. We shall see :)

Latest posts

Back