Clogged Cold Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
So, I picked up a used jockey box off of one of those new garage sale apps, and low and behold, as I am cleaning the cold plate that came with it, I find that one of the two lines seems to be clogged...

So far i have just tried to pump some PBW through it, no go.

I was thinking I could heat it in an oven and see if that will break down any clog, or just try to send some CO2 through ti at high pressure..

anyone have any experience with this?

No experience, but I have heard that running it thru the ovens self cleaning cycle will reduce any debris to a tiny amount of fine ash.

I do think you need the super high self clean temps, not just regular oven temps.

I'd try hot lye (or Liquid Plumber) first before baking, like unclogging a drain. Don't get the lye on the aluminum sink material, it will dissolve it. But it's safe in the stainless lines. Don't get the lye on skin or in the eyes either.

thanks guys.. i guess ill try the oven first... like to avoid putting liquid plumber in anything ill be running consumable liquids through.

... like to avoid putting liquid plumber in anything ill be running consumable liquids through.

Once it unclogs, you'll be rinsing it out, right? Use a pump or a keg with very hot water.

Was that cold plate perhaps used for dispensing soda?

Back