Clearing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
I mostly brew beer, but every now and then like to experiment with cider.

So, in September I made a 2.5 gal batch of fresh,local cider. I added nutrient and safale 04. I noticed yesterday it's finally starting to clear. The first few inches has cleared. Used a thief to sample it and freshen up the airlock.

Tasted great! But, how long till it's all clear? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394451954.689152.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394451964.035232.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Try outing it in a cold location.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

It's been in my basement. Since November, I doubt my basement has been over 60 degrees.

Have you removed all the CO2 from the cider. It may not clear if the gas keeps particles in suspension. Assuming that there is no CO2 remaining, did you add pectic enzyme prior to pitching the yeast? If not you can add this now. What about adding Bentonite? Although if you have removed the CO2 then I am not sure how effective Bentonite is as the CO2 would keep the Bentonite in suspension longer allowing more of the particulates floating around to attach themselves.
Last point, you may find, contra to Randzor, that finding a warmer location for your cider (closer to 70 degrees) might help with clearing.

I have done none of the above. Like I said, I don't have much experience with cider.

Like I said, it's been sitting in one spot for past 7 months.

Thank you for advice. Which option would you recommend most? Also, would transferring to secondary help?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have done none of the above. Like I said, I don't have much experience with cider.

Like I said, it's been sitting in one spot for past 7 months.

Thank you for advice. Which option would you recommend most? Also, would transferring to secondary help?

Definitely move it to a smaller carboy so that it's topped up. Oxidation will ruin the cider. It if tastes ok now, and not oxidized, that's good but that would be a little surprising to me- it looks like a lot of headspace there but it's hard to tell in the photo.

Pectic enzyme is super cheap and could probably do wonders. Some online sources say it doesn't work post-fermentation but I have found this to be basically untrue. You could enzyme this carboy, wait 2-3 days for it to clear, then rack to a smaller one (or bottle) as Yooper suggests.

There is not a ton of head space really. The room is dark, but, what looks like empty space is actually cleared cider.

I'll try the enzyme, can't hurt!

There is not a ton of head space really. The room is dark, but, what looks like empty space is actually cleared cider.

I'll try the enzyme, can't hurt!

Oh, sorry about that! I see a lot of yeast sediment in the neck of the carboy, but no cider at all so it looks like it's far below the bung.

Think it's okay? Or should I transfer?

Added some pectic enzyme today. Well see what happens in a few days!

Not sure if anyone cares or not who replied to my post , but, I finally got around to botteling this cider a month ago. It finally cleared after sitting a whole year!

I was worried it may go bad, but, it is light, crisp, and delicious!

Made a 5 gal batch tonight and added the enzyme, so hopefully it takes less than a year to clear!

FWIW with Nottingham Ale yeast + nutrients + pectic enzyme I typically reach 0.995 SG in 2 to 2-1/2 weeks and rack to secondary. Another week and it's clear. I know that aging improves the flavor, so your year wait paid off in that regard.

Sweet. I used safale05.

Do you carbonate yours? I've never tried and have kept all my ciders still. Is it the same as beer?

Latest posts

Back