Clearing/degassing question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I have a strawberry apple wine that is now 3.5 months old and shows no signs of clearing. It was started nov15/2012. Lots of pectin enzyme at the start. It is very dry and smells awesome. Made with ec1118.

I was reading about degassing and how some 'gassy' wines won't clear, so I stirred it and sure enough, extremely bubbly. I've since stirred twice, 5+ minutes at a time and it seems much better, but its still not clearing at all.

Should I just ignore this for a few months?

Should I treat it with some type of clearing agent?

How much is too much in the stirring department? I don't want to oxidize this.

IMHO there are only two ways to effectively degass, vacuum or time. Some wines take a long time to degass without a little help. If it doesn't clear use Sparkolloid, that stuff is magic.

This past Saturday I degassed a few gallons of wine and a couple gallons of mead that is a couple of months old the were cloudy I used a food saver vacuum system I just rigged the hose so it would work in the carboys you could actually watch it clear as it degasses I was amazed at how fast it worked. There is a video on tube showing the process.

This past Saturday I degassed a few gallons of wine and a couple gallons of mead that is a couple of months old the were cloudy I used a food saver vacuum system I just rigged the hose so it would work in the carboys you could actually watch it clear as it degasses I was amazed at how fast it worked. There is a video on tube showing the process.

Interesting. I watched the video. Do you think this would work in a 5gal betterbottle carboy?

Yes it works just takes a little longer is all. Gallon batches may take 10 minutes. 5 gallon may take 25-30 minutes but it does work

Back