Clear beer with picnic tap / cloudy beer in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avocado_Power

Reaction score
After racking from my conical into a keg using CO2 to push the beer out, I forced carbonated both a Belgian wheat beer and an IPA for 6 days at 40F and 12 psi, and they were well-carbed. When I dispensed into a small glass with each of these kegs from my chest freezer via a picnic tap (still at 40ish F), they poured clear and with a foam head.

After transferring these kegs to my kegerator in another location (so the kegs were jostled as they were carried), these were hooked up to a brand new kegerator where I had star-san'd the lines. It was set to roughly 36F...kegs may have warmed a bit during the transport as I had to remove an installed glass-holder rack, but nothing more.

I poured a couple of glasses of both of them after getting rid of the star san in the lines...cloudy murky mess. Tastes fine, but very cloudy. Recall that only earlier in the day, the beer was clear in the picnic tap. Despite being set at 12 psi, the kegerator also dispensed the beer rather slowly.

I have done a fair bit of googling on this and can't seem to find a solid answer. Can chill haze magically be absent and then suddenly appear in the same keg only hours later? Is the new kegerator at fault?

Thanks for any help!

Tomorrow, the beer will flow clearer.
In a week, it’ll be just like before.
It’s the stirring you give it while moving.

I go through this every time I carry a keg a few hundred feet from cold storage to kegerator.
No matter how gently I treat the kegs.

Been thinking about filtering to avoid this.
Taking a keg somewhere would end up the same.

Last edited:
Tomorrow, the beer will flow clearer.
In a week, it’ll be just like before.
It’s the stirring you give it while moving.

I go through this every time I carry a keg a few hundred feet from cold storage to kegerator.
No matter how gently I treat the kegs.

Been thinking about filtering to avoid this.
Taking a keg somewhere would end up the same.

You're right! I can't believe how much a little bit of carrying makes a huge difference. The Citrus IPA cleared up more, though the Belgian Wheat is semi-turbid. (I know the style is supposed to be cloudy, but it's still exaggerated.)

I've also been doing a ton of research on clarifying. Have you tried gelatin yet? Seems to be a lower-cost way of addressing the issue short of filtering. I think I'm going to use gelatin as my next approach (straight into the fermenter while it is cold crashing).

Back