Cleaning Wort Boilover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmm635

Reaction score
Not really sure where this post fits so I'll try "Sanitation." During my last batch I had a little wort splash out of the brew pot and onto my porcelain/enamel/? stove top. Everything I could reach wiped up nicely with a wet rag but I couldn't get to the stuff real close to the gas burner. Needless to say, it burnt on quite nicely and the wife isn't too happy about it.

Any idea how to get that stuff off?? It's burnt on pretty good.

Now you know why a lot of us have already been banished from the kitchen.....

:tank:

Yup, a blessing by the wifey with a big push into backyard with brewing many years ago. It was a nasty mess I made. Careful as oven cleaner melts the skin off your hands trust me on this one as the pain is beyond belief.

Not really sure where this post fits so I'll try "Sanitation." During my last batch I had a little wort splash out of the brew pot and onto my porcelain/enamel/? stove top. Everything I could reach wiped up nicely with a wet rag but I couldn't get to the stuff real close to the gas burner. Needless to say, it burnt on quite nicely and the wife isn't too happy about it.

Any idea how to get that stuff off?? It's burnt on pretty good.
I tried several methods which were not successful. Finally I used stainless steel cleaner (the tray surrounding the burners is stainless) and Scotchbright. This combination removed the burned on wort.

I was written here that a damp paste of baking soda allowed to sit on the wort mess will soften and help to remove the glass like burnt sugar...

A little more friendly than oven cleaner but not as quick I would imagine.

Baking soda + vinegar and let it sit for a while. Scraping it off with some sort of blade has worked for me also as well as those "magic eraser" things. Nothing is a quick fix. All of them take some elbow grease.

oven cleaner, and welcome to the outside brewers club. Its cold and wet and lonely.

Latest posts

Back