cleaning the inside of a chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlb307

Reaction score
I have an immersion chiller, and I plan on turning it into a CFC in the near future. It has built up a decent layer of green oxidization on the inside, and I'm not sure if this ought to be removed before running the wort through it or not.
Not even sure it matters, as I'm sure over time even as a CFC it would oxidize on the inside again anyway.

Clean it out, or not. That's the question. Well, that and how?

Use a solution of Acetic acid - vinegar - and salt. It'll clean right up. Run it through the inside several times. You might have to change the solution out too.

I would heat up some StarSan and run it through it... I assume this is copper so the acids in StarSan will disovle them.

a little bit of tarnish is a nutrient for yeast but Copper Oxide is not good for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_oxide

I know,,, I had a bunch of brass candle holdes that had small difficult places to clean and I used StarSan to clean them...

SO: I would heat boil some water in your kettle, put some Starsan in it, and let it re-circulate for a while..... I would think this would do the trick....

Back