Cleaning tap lines after an infected batch of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
Just wanted to run this by everyone to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Towards the end of my last batch, I noticed a band aide type of smell. The beer didn't taste weird, but the odor was definitely there. Band aide means an infection, right? So I emptied what was left in the sanke and filled it with PBW which sat overnight. Today I've been running fresh PBW through my lines and I plan on following that up with hot water. Is this being safe enough or is there more I should do?

Thanks!

Gregmosu,

The band aid flavor might also be from chlorine in your water. Do you do anything to remove chlorine?

I think that may also come from some infections as well.

Cheers!

PBW followed by a sanitizer would probably be enough, but lines are cheap... why take a chance? I wouldn't if I suspect an unintended infection.

x2 on the chlorine (also people who use bleach as their sanitizer can get that sort of flavor)... some yeasts can throw that flavor as well.

PBW followed by a sanitizer would probably be enough, but lines are cheap... why take a chance? I wouldn't if I suspect an unintended infection.

x2 on the chlorine (also people who use bleach as their sanitizer can get that sort of flavor)... some yeasts can throw that flavor as well.

Could an infection continue to live in nylon tubing... and if so, could it possibly get into the keg and ruin the next batch?

Could it... yeah it could and it could infect a batch. Would it ruin a batch? Hard to say... depends on temp and how long it takes to clear the keg. To me spending a few bucks on line isn't worth the potential of an infection.

Personally, I keep my brett, brett and bacteria, and sacc lines (and equipment) all separate. Some have mixed and not had issues... some have had issues.

Could it... yeah it could and it could infect a batch. Would it ruin a batch? Hard to say... depends on temp and how long it takes to clear the keg. To me spending a few bucks on line isn't worth the potential of an infection.

Personally, I keep my brett, brett and bacteria, and sacc lines (and equipment) all separate. Some have mixed and not had issues... some have had issues.

Do you swap out liquid lines and faucets for these 3 different sets? Or just on the cold side of the brewing process...

I dont do much on the brett/bug beers but I have done a berliner weiss and was planning on just hooking up the kegs to my normal lines/taps.

Most of what you are talking about is over my head right now. The beer I suspected of being infected was a witbier... not sure if that makes any difference, But I'm not taking chances. I tore everything apart and I'm now soaking it in hot soapy water. Both lines were actually turning yellow. Didn't notice that until they were out of the fridge.

Gregmosu,

The band aid flavor might also be from chlorine in your water. Do you do anything to remove chlorine?

I think that may also come from some infections as well.

Cheers!

I'm still not 100% sure on this. I did switch to using a filter, but it might have been right after this batch.

I ended up taking the safest route... I tore my equipment apart and after I scrub it down I'm going to hit it with starsan.

I just skimmed so if this has allready been said then forgive me.

Hose lines are cheap, buy new ones.
If not, then boil them,scrub them,boil again,sanitize em.
You get the idea.

You're doing it right by taking it all apart to clean and sanitize. I also give my vote for replacing the lines. Plastic/vinyl tubing is just too porous. As much time and money as I spend on 5 gallons, replacing beer line is cheap and easy insurance!

Do you swap out liquid lines and faucets for these 3 different sets? Or just on the cold side of the brewing process...

I dont do much on the brett/bug beers but I have done a berliner weiss and was planning on just hooking up the kegs to my normal lines/taps.

I swap the liquid line, but I don't on the faucets. My faucets are stainless and can easily be torn apart to clean really well (and boiled if I'm really worried about it). Basicly anything that isn't metal or glass only gets used with that beer type. That goes for syphons, fermenting buckets, airlocks, etc. Probably overkill, but I haven't had a batch cross contaminate yet.

When I kettle sour or mash sour, I don't worry about swapping out the lines. Souring after the boil is when I use different equipment.

Most of what you are talking about is over my head right now. The beer I suspected of being infected was a witbier... not sure if that makes any difference, But I'm not taking chances. I tore everything apart and I'm now soaking it in hot soapy water. Both lines were actually turning yellow. Didn't notice that until they were out of the fridge.

With the line turning yellow, it might just be time to swap it out.

A cheap and easy way to treat your water for chlorine is campden tablets (or just buying the powder form of the sulfates). Just drop a half tablet in your mash water and a half tablet in your sparge water would likely take care of it. If you are sure it is JUST chlorine (not chloramines), you could measure out the mash and sparge water a day or more before and it will separate.

Don't forget to swap out keg gaskets too! The lid, connector, diptube, and pressure relief valve gaskets all need replaced. Keg gaskets are an easy thing to forget / miss! As henchman24 said,"replace anything not metal or glass"!

buddy of mine years ago had a run with this off flavour. He tried everything including replacing lines and couldn't get rid of it.
Turned out he was using the cheapest hardware store vinyl line for beer line. He replaced that with food grade beer line and the problem disappeared. Was just like the taste from chlorine water. medicinal/bandaid

Back