Cleaning/Sanitizing New (Used) Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
Ahoy... I find myself in possession of 4 new (well, to me) glass carboys that were formerly used for making mead. They're a little dirty after sitting in the basement before I got them, with what looks like a bit of caked on yeast. Since I don't know what was done to them, I'm looking to go for a bit of overkill on the cleaning and sanitizing. I know the former owner, I don't think they were abused or anything terrible done to them, but who knows.

Is my best bet to fill 'em with a strong PBW solution and let them sit for a week before attempting to make sure there's no grime left. Once that's done, I'm planning to do a lengthy sanitization with starsan (I'd use some diversol first, but running out and don't feel like a trip across town to get more). I won't be using them right away, this is more just getting them to a point I can feel comfortable pulling them out, giving a quick swish with some starsan and using.

Any advice is appreciated!

PBW soak, rinse with water, then starsan (a few minutes contact time per directions), thats it. I store them with foil covering the opening, then when ready to fill, rinse with water, then starsan a few minutes, then fill. I have a few of the storage racks for upside down storage, but it doesn't change anything really.

I've never used PBW, but I find that a hot water and oxyclean soak can do wonders. Occasionally I have to soak a second time.

I also store carboys with the opening covered, and then might give them a quick rinse before sanitizing with Star San.

i second the PBW soak, rinse, starsan rinse, bung it up for storage and starsan before using next brew day!

Latest posts

Back