cleaning better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegz15

Reaction score
So....I left some better bottles with some gunk on the sides and bottom. I've soaked them for over a week and used a rag to swirl around. There are still spots on the sides and a thin ring at the top. Any suggestions?

I'm sure my approach will freak out the belt-and-suspenders types, but I just use a carboy brush to remove any stubborn gunk. I think the paranoia regarding minor scratches on buckets and PET carboys is overplayed. The way I look at it, if bacteria can get in a crack, so too can my starsan in order to kill it (this assumes I can actually get my carboy clean, of course). I will slip a sock over the end of my brush on occasion in order to help minimize hairline scratches, though I do that more to keep my carboy easy to see through than I do for sanitation reasons.

What'd ya soak with? I use generic oxyclean, sometimes twice, but never have any residue.

+1 for oxyclean. After a good 8-24 hour soak I've never needed more than a swirl with a rag or paper towel in the oxy dregs to completely clean up. Hardened kraeusen, the works.

-Rich

Back