cleaning and lubing a new stout faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discooby

Reaction score
My ebay’d Guinness faucet w/handle and coupler came in the mail today. It didn’t come with any instructions as far as how to take it apart, cleaning it, and what should be lubed. A while back I got some perlicks 525ss faucets and it came with instructions.
Stout1.jpg

I think I got it apart for the most part... I’m not sure what the safest way is to take out the restrictor plate without damaging it or the o-ring so figured I’d just leave it there for now.
Stout2.jpg

I guess all o-rings should get some keglube? What about the diaphragm (‘plunger’ part that holds back the beer), should that be lubed? Just lube the whole thing up?...:cross:

And cleaning before using, a good oxy-clean soak? I’m pretty sure it’s chrome so maybe use hot water and a little soap instead?

I have pretty much that faucet. I put lube on anything I can, all rings and the plunger, it won't hurt. The restricter plate is in the black plastic thingy at the bottom with an o-ring, you can take it out no problem. In fact I would suggest doing it now while it's not hooked up so you can do it easily after you have it mounted in case there is a problem. You already took apart the hard part!

I basically clean mine the same as my other taps. Just run line cleaner though and take it apart every 7 kegs or so. Although I usually take the restricter plate/oring out more often in case I want to dispense on C02 with the tap.

Theres an o-ring keeping the restrictor plate in the spout… it’s too narrow for my fingers to get too and I didn’t want to try pushing it out from the other end with something and break or deform the plate. How do you get yours out?

After taking it apart I let it soak in soapy-hot water, then a rest in hot-PBW water then a rinse. I did what you suggested and lubed any rubber parts / o-rings with a light coating of keg lube. Before serving I’ll run starsan through it and the lines like normal.

Btw, when taking it apart I didn’t know there was a spring inside under compression but for some reason I kept a good grasp expecting something to fly out… reminds me of the first time taking apart a 1911 and having the spring retainer fly across the room…ha! I almost shot my eye out :drunk: j/k

Thanks for the reply, :mug:

For mine I just taped it upside down on a table and it fell out, it should break down like the pic on the bottom left:

http://www.weekendbrewer.com/images/faucet5.jpg

So the 4 is the part you screw off, the 2 is a little plactic thing, the 3 is the plate, and the 1 is the oring.

I had 1 oring deform so I bought a few from Lowes. I just took a good one I had from my other tap, brought it in and compared them with the dozen or so they had.

I think the first time I had to just use a little screw driver down the tap to get it out. For mine the o-ring is slightly bigger then the inner diameter of the threading of the spout so I have to use a pen or small screwdriver to work it back in a bit.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back