Cleaning agent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
Ive heard dont use a cleaner that suds as it will ruin the head on your beer. So simply, what do you guys use for cleaning of equipment? Thanks!!

I second the OxyClean free it works just as good as PBW. Just rinse well and you won't have any residue cleaner to ruin any head retention.

I only saw one kind of oxyclean at the store...did i not look hard enough? Dammit i think i might have gotten the scented kind.......

I've used a gallon of water and an ounce or two of unscented bleach for equipment.

For bottling my last few batches of beer and wine, I just rinsed the bottles with water and then took a few shots of ever clear, coated the bottle with it. Did a case of beer and 8 wine bottles with about 3 shots. Wasn't sure how it would work but, no problems so far. Considering it's 190 proof, it got the job done.

I'd vouch for PBW without hesitation. Before, no matter what I did the fermenter would still have a bad smell after cleaning. Even cleaning with anitseptic soap and soaking overnight with sanitizer didn't kill it. PBW doesn't sud up and my equipment are absolutely immaculate.

+1 on the Oxy. Started using it again when I re-started my brewing addiction. Fortunately SWMBO hasn't noticed it missing from the laundry room.

So accidentally bought the oxy that isnt "free". Can i still use this? What problems could i have?

So accidentally bought the oxy that isnt "free". Can i still use this? What problems could i have?

If it's "smelly", then you don't want to use it as it will make your beer taste and smell the way that cleaner smells.

I found a generic version of the "free" stuff at Dollar General. I use the "smelly" stuff for laundry.

Yooper said:
If it's "smelly", then you don't want to use it as it will make your beer taste and smell the way that cleaner smells.

I found a generic version of the "free" stuff at Dollar General. I use the "smelly" stuff for laundry.

Yehhhh ****. I saw somebody mention a target brand which im sure will save a couple bucks

I prefer to use the right tool for the job. I value my hide more than saving a couple bucks. No offense intended. I use PBW exclusively for any cleaning of equipment or bottles. Starsan for sanitizing. With the right strength of PBW,you can clean just about anything.

unionrdr said:
I prefer to use the right tool for the job. I value my hide more than saving a couple bucks. No offense intended. I use PBW exclusively for any cleaning of equipment or bottles. Starsan for sanitizing. With the right strength of PBW,you can clean just about anything.

No offense taken. I appreciate honesty. This thread is actually the first time that ive heard about PBW. Ill have to look into it more. Im just trying to learn everything i can starting from the bottom and i want to properly clean Nd sanitize before progressing

Unionrdr...i looked up pbw on midwest. In your experience with it approx how long will it last for? I was thinking about starting with the 1lb size.

1lb size usually lasts me a couple months. The measures given on the jar are by weight,so I use a small digital scale I got from walmart for $20. It's great for weighing hops,grains,priming sugar & all that too. So it def is a worth while investment.

Yeah,I was thinking of going to a larger size as well. I use a lot of it with two fermenters,bottling bucket,brew kettles,etc.

I use mostly "washing soda" (sodium carbonate, also called soda ash). It is a good cleaner and a main ingredient in both PBW and "oxy clean". Cheap and cheerful, 4 lb. boxes in your supermarket or (good) hardware store.

If I need more power, I add some (generic) oxy free to it.

I use PBW (or my homemade substitute) for cleaning the most stubborn areas and where a brush can't get to, like my pump and plate chiller.

Cleansers work better in hot water than cold.

Here's my homemade substitute for PBW (sourced from various web resources):

Using generic Oxy Free which contains about 50% of the oxygen-active ingredient (sodium percarbonate) and 50% sodium carbonate (washing soda):

70% generic "Oxy Free"
30% "TSP" (Sodium metasilicate)

If your Oxy free is particularly strong, containing mostly (70% or more) of the oxygen-active ingredient sodium percarbonate, with the remainder of sodium carbonate (washing soda):

50% real "Oxy Free"
20% washing soda (sodium carbonate)
30% "TSP" (Sodium metasilicate)

Notes on "TSP":
Original TSP (TriSodium Phosphate) is not easily available anymore (phosphate ban). What is now sold under the name "TSP" is Sodium metasilicate, a good sequestering (dirt binding) agent, but chemically has nothing in common with the old TSP; they are entirely different products.

It is available in your (better) hardware stores in 1 pound tubs or 4 pound pouches. I get mine at Ace.

The only drawback of this "TSP" is it tends to leave a haze on glass if exposed to it too long. I'm not sure if long exposure to PBW causes the same haze, nor have I seen the haze in my homemade version either, but I haven't tested specifically for it.

A long soak with StarSan removes that haze. Since Starsan is acidic (it contains phosphoric acid) I think any plain diluted acid will do the same, e.g., Phosphoric acid, HCl (Muriatic acid).

I've never noticed PBW to leave a haze on anything. I rinse it well,then sanitize with Starsan afterwords. The dry & store till brewday/bottling day When it's sanitized again.

I use PBW and Oxi free to clean my kegs. I have never had issues with either. To sanitize I use star san. A bottle goes a long way.

Thanks for all the info. I just picked up my starsan. I think i may just order the PBW. I couldnt find oxy free in the store and pbw sounds like an equally good choice

PBW stands for Powdered Brewery Wash. It's made for cleaning brewing stuff. Good directions on the jar as well.

Well since i have all of you knowledgable people giving me advice...what tools do you guys use for cleaning? I assume carboy brush for carboys? But past that...non-abrasive sponges?

I use a brush very lightly on my plastic fermenters after soaking 5-7 days with PBW & water. Or a Dobie brand scrubber,as it's a fine textured yellow sponge with nylon webbing on the outside. Just rub lightly to clean the loosened gunk off that hasn't fallen off already. I've even used a wash cloth to rub the loosened gunk of.

With fermenters,yeah. It's better to soak'em clean & need only a light scrub than to scrub like mad. No scratching that way. Small stuff cleans up quick with a little lite scrubbing & a rinse.

With fermenters,yeah. It's better to soak'em clean & need only a light scrub than to scrub like mad. No scratching that way. Small stuff cleans up quick with a little lite scrubbing & a rinse.

Definitely agree... I use a shower wand to pre rinse the ferms, then fill with bleach or pbw and use a soft cloth to wipe where it may be needed, then an overnight soak.

...carboy brush for carboys? But past that...non-abrasive sponges?

If you're using glass carboys, you'll need that carboy brush. You also need a bottle brush, for your bottles and other narrow vessels.

Non-abrasive sponges and a soft nylon hand brush. Use a large bucket or a plastic tote for your starsan.

The most useful piece of sanitation equipment is a spray bottle for your Starsan working solution. Spray anything that can't be easily immersed. I always fill my spray bottle when I make a fresh solution.

other useful things on the list are:
bottle filler (plastic tube with spring activated valve on bottom)
hydrometer
hydrometer test jar
bottle capper
turkey baster or even better, a (wine) thief

When u guys are overnight soaking your fermenters carboys etc. do you make a huge batch of cleaner/sanitizer? And fill them/something else all the way up and toss all your equipment into it for he soak? Or is it enough to make smaller batches of liquids and just make sure it touches all surfaces before it sits overnight?

When u guys are overnight soaking your fermenters carboys etc. do you make a huge batch of cleaner/sanitizer? And fill them/something else all the way up and toss all your equipment into it for he soak? Or is it enough to make smaller batches of liquids and just make sure it touches all surfaces before it sits overnight?

Other than the fermenters themselves, all I have is hose and air locks... those can go in the bucket during the bleach soak (I usually use bleach for ferms, pbw for kegs, but change up once and a while because of what I have on hand). I don't have racking canes since I have spigots in all of my fermenters. I do disassemble the spigots and give them a short bleach soak in a smaller container before reassembly and the over night soak with the bucket full of bleach solution. The next day, maybe two days later or whatever depending on my schedule, I rinse and put the vessel away. When I am ready to use it, I mix about a gallon in the bucket, use a soft cloth to wipe down all the interior surfaces and most of the exterior, drain the solution through the spigot, then rinse thoroughly. I then mix a solution of iodophor and do essentially the same thing, sans final rinse of course. I wrap some cellophane tightly around the drain spigot to assure it remains clean and sanitary. Before draining to keg post ferment, I will spray it liberally with iodophor solution out of a squirt bottle.

Latest posts

Back