Clean everything with steam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
Recently, in my brewing, I've gotten used to cleaning all my equipment with a hand held steam cleaner and I was wondering if this an effective technique for sterilization.

I generally just blast anything that comes into contact with my beer with a high pressure jet of hot steam (including my siphon hose, raking cane, bottling bottles, string spoons, pots, pans, etc etc etc).

Is this a proper way to make sure my beer does not go bad?

Sounds like a cool idea! I don't know how long you should hold it against the baddies, but a sani rinse + heat dry works for my bottles in the dishwasher

Airlocks and auto-siphon will get damaged using high temp cleaning

As sanitation it should work werry well(dont know the temp you need for sterilisation but i think you will have problems with buckets)

Airlocks and auto-siphon will get damaged using high temp cleaning

As sanitation it should work werry well(dont know the temp you need for sterilisation but i think you will have problems with buckets)

lol, I think most things die when they are hit by steam (it comes out at about the temperature of boiling water, so its pretty hot))

Its a chore with buckets. with glassware, the glass picks up the heat and the whole thing eventually steralizes itself.
not so with plastic, and my steamer is too big to maneuver it in the bucket properly. It WORKS, but its more of a chore than it should be (and a stress on my limited water supply for the steam)

Im sensitive to the auto-siphon, but the steam isn't hot enough to melt the rubber so I don't foresee a problem. I am also very sensitive to the airlock (a quick spritz all around and then onto the carboy)

Latest posts

Back